Dwarf Gourami Attacking My Molly

Maciemm

I was reading up on gourami fish when I got mine I wanted to add a few tank mates and I read that mollies are ok so I bought 1. I believe he is a cremecicle lyretail molly..he has the longer tail fin with the 2 points on the end. My dwarf gourami does not like him at all. And I am not sure what to do. I have them both in a 11 galon tall hexagon aquarium and the gourami nips and chases him constantly. Ive tried re aranging the decorations around and that doesn't seem to help. I also have a 36 gal with a black moor, and fantail goldfish in it, and a intex pool with a shubunkin, commet, and plecostomus in it. Theyre all young fish and not bigger than 2 inches..but I don't think putting the molly with any of them fish is recomended. Help please.

Aquaphobia

A hexagon tank does not have as much room as a standard dimensioned tank of the same volume. I suspect that your gourami is feeling crowded.

Can you take the molly back?

Maciemm

I can't find the receipt for the fish. An I just have him and a platy and the gourami..

Could I possibly move the molly to my 36 gallon with the black moor and fantail?

Aquaphobia

Probably not a good idea. What are the dimensions of your hex tank?

Maciemm

12 by 12 by 20

Aquaphobia

That's overstocked, they don't have enough room to get away from each other. If you have to I guess you could move them in with the goldfish... What about the big tank with the pleco? Can you move the goldfish in with him?

Genghis Karp

Yes, you're best really with Nano tank fish in there, id be putting a large live plant up the middle of it with some suitable < 1.5" fish in.

Maciemm

The big tank has a commet and shubunkin in there an theyre prally like 3 inches long an then the pleco. How would I feed the molly fish tho they eat diff food

There is a heater in there its about 70 degrees

Aquaphobia

Unless you take her back to the store and donate her I don't see that you have a choice. Or you could get another tank!

Maciemm

Do I just put the food in slowly so the molly can eat it before the goldfish do? Like how does this work lol. I can't take it back and I'm not donating...you should see the dead fish at my petco its disturbing...hes better off with me lol

Yes, you're best really with Nano tank fish in there, id be putting a large live plant up the middle of it with some suitable < 1.5" fish in.

My fish in that tank are about 1.5".. the gourami is the biggest thing in there. The molly is almost 2" tho

Aquaphobia

You have other fish besides the gourami and molly in that tank?

Maciemm

Please re read my messages up top it tells you what fish are in what tank. My main question now is how do I feed the molly fish while its in the goldfish tank because it eats diff food than the goldfish..how do I feed it without the goldfish eating its food and vice versa.

Aquaphobia

Train it to come up and eat from your hand maybe?

Is there any chance you can get another tank? Maybe a 20 gallon? Hex tanks are hard to stock at the best of times and I wouldn't want to see any of the fish you have crammed into one. It's just not big enough.

Maciemm

I don't have a way to get another tank right now I have 4 running so I think that's enouph.

I'm just gonna try moving the molly over to my 36 gal. Theres only 2 goldfish in it. They are small right now 2 so it will be ok hopefully. For now just temporarily. Thank you for your advice.

Aquaphobia

Hopefully you can move the small goldies to the intex soon.

Maciemm

I'm not putting them in there. Your not suppost to mix fancy goldfish with single tail goldfish..theyll compete for food.

Aquaphobia

You're going to have problems no matter which way you go I'm afraid unless you're willing to rehome the inappropriate fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishaholic58
Replies
Views
andy305mia
Replies
Views
carter cat
  • Mybubbles
  • Molly