Dwarf Gourami And Honey Gourami Together?

1. L

LPM New Member Member

Today I bought a Honey Gourami and a couple of Cardinal Tetras from a local aquarium store. I integrated them in with the Neon Tetras and Dwarf Gourami, and that's when I think I found a problem...
    Possibly its just the "pecking order" of newbie fish, but the Dwarf Gourami is chasing the Honey Gourami around ALL THE TIME. When the Honey is exploring and comes out of the shadows, my Dwarf will spot him and chase him around until the Honey can hide behind the filter. It's a relentless cycle, though this is their first day together.
    The Dwarf was also lashing out a little at the Cardinals, pecking at them a couple times, but it isn't to the extent like the Honey. Is this just something that will take time to resolve?
    I might be able to return the honey if it doesn't go well (but the cashier never gave us a receipt, though we're in their system as "VIP members"?)
    Will the Dwarf establish dominance, then leave the Honey alone? Do I need to plant taller plants and put more hiding places for my Honey? Will it never work out?

2. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

It sounds like the Dwarf has established a territory. He might tolerate the Honey after a while but he may not

3. OP
    OP
    L

LPM New Member Member

The Honey Gourami is so humble and gentle, it seems like a stretch for the Dwarf to always act this way. Is this a "Gourami thing"?

4. Dch48

From what I've seen, Dwarves are more aggressive and territorial than Honeys. Gouramis are related to Bettas after all. You will most likely have to take the Honey back. Dwarfs don't even like each other let alone other types. They are usually kept singly.

5. OP
    OP
    L

LPM New Member Member

I just woke up this morning and looked at my tank. The Honey was staring at me through the glass, and the Dwarf approached. A simple nudge from the Dwarf and the Honey backed away. No chasing! Maybe this has sorted itself out overnight (I hope.) The Honey appears to be moving out more than he was before.
    I turned on the lights, and began my morning feeding, and they all ate without problem. Another nudge from the Dwarf and the Honey moved to another feeding spot. I'll keep checking on the tank during the day to see if I'm wrong, but they seem well!

6. Dch48

Well that's a good sign, especially during feeding. Maybe they will get along.