dwarf gourami and blue ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all. None of my fish (cories, rummy noses, 1 GBR) use up the top portion of my 29g, so I was considering getting a dwarf gourami. I wonder if anyone would disrecommend having both 1-2 GBRs and a dwarf gourami in the tank? (Note that currently there's only 1 GBR, but I plan to get her a friend sometime.) Would taller plants encourage the rummies and GBR to use the top portion of the tank more?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The rams won't use the top of the tank - they stay near the bottom. The dwarf gourami pretty much goes everywhere, and spends a good amount of time near the bottom as well. If you want a peaceful gourami that will primarily hang at the top of the tank, a pearl gourami is you best bet IMO. I've had great success keeping rams with pearls.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A DG should be ok with Blue Rams.

Rams are typically bottom-mid dwellers, whilst DG is mid-top dweller.

The rams are generally only aggressive at spawning (and it's the males that are aggressive).

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It shouldn't be a problem. I've got Blue Rams in my tank with a DG & they never have any issues. The DG stays around the top for the most part & the Rams stay down the bottom. Even when they are in the same area I've never seen any aggression from the DG. Only the Rams defending thier cave & rock.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rams won't use the top of the tank - they stay near the bottom. The dwarf gourami pretty much goes everywhere, and spends a good amount of time near the bottom as well. If you want a peaceful gourami that will primarily hang at the top of the tank, a pearl gourami is you best bet IMO. I've had great success keeping rams with pearls.
+1. I loved my pearl. They don't look so attractive when you see them at the LFS, but when they settle down they look gorgeous! Also, they are peaceful and shouldn't give your fish any trouble.

It shouldn't be a problem. I've got Blue Rams in my tank with a DG & they never have any issues. The DG stays around the top for the most part & the Rams stay down the bottom. Even when they are in the same area I've never seen any aggression from the DG. Only the Rams defending thier cave & rock.
I agree with this too. A DG would do just fine with a GBR, but IMO the trick is finding a healthy one. I don't know if there is better stock in Australia or what, but in the states they just don't seem to do well. It's a shame, since they are such a great looking fish.

Obviously I'm not saying you should add both, but rather pick one or the other that interests you.

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Harpua. I think my LFSes both commonly have DGs in stock and they look very good, so I think I'll go with those eventually.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. Although I don't know if Rams don't like fishes with a lot of color on them? Like the Male Dwarf Gouramis.

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Other people have commented that rams and fish that I presume to be colorful (male DGs are anyway) have worked out together, so I'm guessing it's fine. Plus they'll stay in separate parts of the tank for the most part, which I'm learning. My GBR wanders up the sides of the tank but doesn't exactly use the "top" of the tank. I mainly wondered if the other fish would eventually use the top portion a bit more if I had plants that reached the top of the tank. My rummies in particular like to feed from the bottom like the cories and GBR, and it's just sort of frustrating because they don't come to the top for their micropellets.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Further to my previous post, some, but not all DGs like to have a dark area to chill out in.

If you get a DG, then also consider either a floating broad leaf plant, or what I did was to put a piece of cardboard on the cover glass to create an area that was a little darker and not in the direct light.

My DG loved it, he'd swim around happily all day, and when he felt the need to chill out, he just wandered over to the darker area. The darker areas will make the fish feel like he's not in sight of predators, and a little bit safer

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good suggestion, Ryan, thank you. I'll look into something appropriate. I'd prefer plants of some kind but obviously that won't melt from being under 130 watts of lighting (which is on its way in the mail to replace my standard lighting).

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow midthought, 130W over a 29 is a lot of light! I'm guessing (just based off of past experience) that you went with a 2x 65W PC fixture. If so, you will love it! If you are interested, I have a ton of great plants in now that would definitely fit the bill for medium light. My thread is in b/s/t forum.

I still think a DG will do just fine in your tank.

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I did, but the way that it's coming is a 1 65-watt bulb and an actinic. Bah. I'll have to replace the actinic with another bulb...but I look forward to my swords not melting anymore! And then once that settles, I will definitely look into more planting. I already saw your thread and saw the many beautiful plants. I will definitely look you up when I'm ready to do more planting. The low-med light plants I got from you for my betta tank are doing beautifully!

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Further to my previous post, some, but not all DGs like to have a dark area to chill out in.

If you get a DG, then also consider either a floating broad leaf plant, or what I did was to put a piece of cardboard on the cover glass to create an area that was a little darker and not in the direct light.

My DG loved it, he'd swim around happily all day, and when he felt the need to chill out, he just wandered over to the darker area. The darker areas will make the fish feel like he's not in sight of predators, and a little bit safer
Will DG fish like the Floating Riccia? Or will they munch on them? I was going to say Duckweed would be a good plant for the fish to hide under, but those duckweed plants grow like crazy :S

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I honestly can't answer that Neji, as I didn't use plants.

But DGs in nature will build their bubble nests under broad leaves, I just don't know which ones lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom