Dwarf Gourami Alternatives?

CocaCola

So in my 4 years of fish-keeping, I have never successfully kept a dwarf Gourami. They always seem to slowly fade and then die. Also, none of the other fish show signs of illness. I currently have a blue dwarf Gourami in Quarantine with a large grey spot near the gills, a black spot on it’s tail, and swim bladder problems. He has been in treatment for 3 weeks and has slowly gotten worse. I have treated him for fungus, bacteria, and parasites and nothing has worked. I have decided on Dwarf Gourami Disease. is death will be the last, because I will no longer be buying dwarf Gouramis. I have started doing research on a more hardy alternative to this beautiful fish. Any ideas? It would need to be around the same size as the dwarf Gourami, and non-aggressive.

Current tank stock:
-1 female guppy
-1 male guppy
-5 juvenile guppies (gender unknown)
-3 Otocinculus
-1 Dwarf Gourami (sick)

I have a 20-gallon tank and currently do a 10% water change every other day.

jake37

What size tank and water params (nitrate, gh/kh ) ?

Upvote 0

CocaCola

What size tank and water params (nitrate, gh/kh ) ?
20 gallon tank.
I currently don’t have a test kit, but my Seachem ammonia and ph alert tester says ammonia is at 0 and Ph at 7.4

Upvote 0

jake37

20 high (24 inches long) or 20 long (30 inches long)

Upvote 0

CocaCola

20 high (24 inches long) or 20 long (30 inches long)
It’s a hexagon shape 20 inches tall and approximately 18 inches long.

Upvote 0

jake37

Ok - so a lot of vertical space but little floor space. Raise the temp to 79 and get a nice betta You could try a male but i'd go for a female with the guppies. The female are a little less colourful but you don't have to worry about rip fins and such.

Upvote 0

CocaCola

Ok - so a lot of vertical space but little floor space. Raise the temp to 79 and get a nice betta
I have looked into those, will they not be aggressive towards my guppies? They have very long tails.

Upvote 0

jake37

The females shouldn't. You could get one from AquaticQueen if you don't have any locally. I have 4 female in my 29 with 20 guppies and it seems to be working out. The problem is your tank shape is not advantageous to layers of fishes because the floor is so small. If your water was soft and it was a 20 long i'd suggest something like apistogramma or nannacara.

Upvote 0

CocaCola

The females shouldn't. You could get one from AquaticQueen if you don't have any locally. I have 4 female in my 29 with 20 guppies and it seems to be working out. The problem is your tank shape is not advantageous to layers of fishes because the floor is so small. If your water was soft and it was a 20 long i'd suggest something like apistogramma or nannacara.
Ok. Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Ok - so a lot of vertical space but little floor space. Raise the temp to 79 and get a nice betta You could try a male but i'd go for a female with the guppies. The female are a little less colourful but you don't have to worry about rip fins and such.

They're not always less colorful. I have one that's a beautiful dark blue.

Upvote 0

jake37

I express it poorly I meant less total space for colour due to smaller fins. The actual colours are pretty much equal to the male in my eyes.

They're not always less colorful. I have one that's a beautiful dark blue.

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

Rainbow fish? they are similar in size. and look cool.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Rainbow fish? they are similar in size. and look cool.

I also like rainbows, but I think the OP was asking about a single centerpiece fish. I wouldn't keep just one rainbow.

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

I also like rainbows, but I think the OP was asking about a single centerpiece fish. I wouldn't keep just one rainbow.
hmm ok, you could do a betta. They are similar and I know lots of people have had luck putting them with smaller fish. But dont have any experience.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mii
Replies
Views
feeshi
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987