Dwarf Gourami Acting Funny

  • Thread starter

Barch

Valued Member
Messages
194
Reaction score
60
Points
38
I have a 20 gal with tetras and 2 dwarf gourami's. One of them is totally normal, swims around, eats food, and is all over the tank. As of the last few days/week I've noticed my other one has been sitting at the surface a lot, seems really bloated and isn't swimming around and being as active as in the past. He sits really verticle and swims sideways and I know they tend to swim verticle to eat food and stuff but this seems off to me...

The water is great and all my parameters are good, all other fish are healthy and no signs of tank issues.

Any ideas?
 

Attachments

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Messages
3,746
Reaction score
2,282
Points
308
Experience
2 years
How long have you had the gourami and have you introduced any new fish to the tank lately?
 

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Messages
764
Reaction score
435
Points
53
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does it look like any scales are sticking out? Stop feeding immediately if you haven't yet. Give him about 3 days of no feeding, and if he's not better feed him a deshelled pea.
 

Feohw

Well Known Member
Messages
3,581
Reaction score
3,400
Points
308
Experience
2 years
Do you have a separate tank to put him into? It could just be constipation, try fasting him for 2 days and then feed peeled peas. How's his poo? Have you seen it at all?

Other conditions could be dropsy or iridovirus. Both of which are untreatable. If it is iridovirus, it's best to separate him as he could pass it to the other. It's best to treat for conditions that we can treat, and not lose hope about conditions we can't though.
 
  • Thread starter

Barch

Valued Member
Messages
194
Reaction score
60
Points
38
Islandvic said:
How long have you had the gourami and have you introduced any new fish to the tank lately?
He's been in the tank about 6 months, nothing new at all. The 2 gouramis were the last things I added.
CandyCane701 said:
Does it look like any scales are sticking out? Stop feeding immediately if you haven't yet. Give him about 3 days of no feeding, and if he's not better feed him a deshelled pea.
Not really, but his coloring is darker than usual.
Feohw said:
Do you have a separate tank to put him into? It could just be constipation, try fasting him for 2 days and then feed peeled peas. How's his poo? Have you seen it at all?

Other conditions could be dropsy or iridovirus. Both of which are untreatable. If it is iridovirus, it's best to separate him as he could pass it to the other. It's best to treat for conditions that we can treat, and not lose hope about conditions we can't though.
Haven't seen the poop in awhile.
 

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Messages
764
Reaction score
435
Points
53
Experience
5 to 10 years
The coloring being darker is just from stress. Hopefully it's just constipation.
 
  • Thread starter

Barch

Valued Member
Messages
194
Reaction score
60
Points
38
I think he's dead. He's laying on the tank floor now barely breathing. Not sure what I can do since I don't have a spare tank besides a 5.5 Gal that one betta is in.
 

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Messages
764
Reaction score
435
Points
53
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any Epsom salt?
 

Feohw

Well Known Member
Messages
3,581
Reaction score
3,400
Points
308
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear that. With dropsy and iridovirus the fish swells, grows lethargic and lacks appetite. Usually with dropsy the scales pinecone and with iridovirus lesions can form. Is there anything like that at all?

Towards the end with both diseases, the fish sinks as well. I'd watch your other gourami for symptoms and ensure that he doesn't get too near.

It still could be something else though. Epsom salt can help with constipation of that's the problem.
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,870
Reaction score
12,884
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
It is a goner I am afraid. Sorry.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom