Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Dwarf Gourami Acting Funny

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Barch, Feb 24, 2019.

1. BarchValued MemberMember

I have a 20 gal with tetras and 2 dwarf gourami's. One of them is totally normal, swims around, eats food, and is all over the tank. As of the last few days/week I've noticed my other one has been sitting at the surface a lot, seems really bloated and isn't swimming around and being as active as in the past. He sits really verticle and swims sideways and I know they tend to swim verticle to eat food and stuff but this seems off to me...

The water is great and all my parameters are good, all other fish are healthy and no signs of tank issues.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

How long have you had the gourami and have you introduced any new fish to the tank lately?

3. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Does it look like any scales are sticking out? Stop feeding immediately if you haven't yet. Give him about 3 days of no feeding, and if he's not better feed him a deshelled pea.

4. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Do you have a separate tank to put him into? It could just be constipation, try fasting him for 2 days and then feed peeled peas. How's his poo? Have you seen it at all?

Other conditions could be dropsy or iridovirus. Both of which are untreatable. If it is iridovirus, it's best to separate him as he could pass it to the other. It's best to treat for conditions that we can treat, and not lose hope about conditions we can't though.

5. BarchValued MemberMember

He's been in the tank about 6 months, nothing new at all. The 2 gouramis were the last things I added.
    Not really, but his coloring is darker than usual.
    Haven't seen the poop in awhile.

6. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

The coloring being darker is just from stress. Hopefully it's just constipation.

7. BarchValued MemberMember

I think he's dead. He's laying on the tank floor now barely breathing. Not sure what I can do since I don't have a spare tank besides a 5.5 Gal that one betta is in.

8. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any Epsom salt?

9. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear that. With dropsy and iridovirus the fish swells, grows lethargic and lacks appetite. Usually with dropsy the scales pinecone and with iridovirus lesions can form. Is there anything like that at all?

Towards the end with both diseases, the fish sinks as well. I'd watch your other gourami for symptoms and ensure that he doesn't get too near.

It still could be something else though. Epsom salt can help with constipation of that's the problem.

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

It is a goner I am afraid. Sorry.