Dwarf frogs in a 2.5?

1. Nicoldeme Member Member

I have a heated, filtered, and cycled 2.5 tank with a betta in it. I've tested him by putting him in my community for a while, and he's peaceful, so can I fit an african dwarf frog or two in a 2.5? I'm very obsessive over water changes, so unless they have a massive bioload, I should be able to handle it. Tank will be heavily planted soon as I can go to the store, and I already have one cave in there, I'll see if I can find another.Also, the lid isn't completely covering, in the back, there's a gap so I'm wondering if a frog will escape through that?
    And on a sort of the same topic, will a dwarf frog jump out of a completely lidless tank?

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I don't know if you can fit anything else in that tank. People usually consider a 5 gallon to be minimum just for a Betta.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe that would be too small for a ADF. At that size it's usually a betta, shrimp, or snail tank.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Nicoldeme
    It depends on the shape of the tank. If it's longer rather than taller you could get away with one. I wouldn't recommend two though.
    Ideally a 5g would be better for one a 10g for two so they can have some flipper room.

The top must not have any gaps African Dwarf Frogs can easily escape and sqeeze through the tinest openings.

5. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Yeah generally for ADF its 5 gallons, so personally I wouldn't put any in it. However some shrimp would do nicely in that size tank, my personal favourite is red cherry.

6. Nicoldeme Member Member

Alright, I wasn't betting on being able to keep one :I I do have a ten gallon tank, but it's lidless. I would have put shrimp in the 2.5, but I've tried ghost shrimp before, twice, and both times they died. I'm not sure why, but I'm just going to wait until I have more experience before I try shrimp again :) Thx for the help!