Dwarf frogs in a 2.5?

1. Nicoldeme

Nicoldeme Valued Member Member

I have a heated, filtered, and cycled 2.5 tank with a betta in it. I've tested him by putting him in my community for a while, and he's peaceful, so can I fit an african dwarf frog or two in a 2.5? I'm very obsessive over water changes, so unless they have a massive bioload, I should be able to handle it. Tank will be heavily planted soon as I can go to the store, and I already have one cave in there, I'll see if I can find another.Also, the lid isn't completely covering, in the back, there's a gap so I'm wondering if a frog will escape through that?
    And on a sort of the same topic, will a dwarf frog jump out of a completely lidless tank?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I don't know if you can fit anything else in that tank. People usually consider a 5 gallon to be minimum just for a Betta.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe that would be too small for a ADF. At that size it's usually a betta, shrimp, or snail tank.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Nicoldeme
    It depends on the shape of the tank. If it's longer rather than taller you could get away with one. I wouldn't recommend two though.
    Ideally a 5g would be better for one a 10g for two so they can have some flipper room.

The top must not have any gaps African Dwarf Frogs can easily escape and sqeeze through the tinest openings.

5. A

Aquarium Newb Valued Member Member

Yeah generally for ADF its 5 gallons, so personally I wouldn't put any in it. However some shrimp would do nicely in that size tank, my personal favourite is red cherry.

6. OP
    OP
    Nicoldeme

Nicoldeme Valued Member Member

Alright, I wasn't betting on being able to keep one :I I do have a ten gallon tank, but it's lidless. I would have put shrimp in the 2.5, but I've tried ghost shrimp before, twice, and both times they died. I'm not sure why, but I'm just going to wait until I have more experience before I try shrimp again :) Thx for the help!