Dwarf Fresh Water Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by RavenHairedMama, Aug 12, 2018.

1. RavenHairedMama

RavenHairedMamaNew MemberMember

Hi I’m new here. I have some dwarf ghost shrimp and I’m wondering what shrimp can be in the same tank. I’ve googled but get confused. I’m wanting to do some blue in the same tank if possible. But if I can’t what colors can I put? Thanks!

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome. You can keep ghost shrimp with blue cherries if you like.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

They often referred to as blue velvets, which may lead to a few more search results for the OP.

4. OP
    OP
    RavenHairedMama

RavenHairedMamaNew MemberMember

Thanks! Now I’m concerned because I read whisker shrimp and ghost shrimp can be sold together. Yikes! I got them at petsmart. I’ve seen one be real aggressive but when I try for a good pic it’s tough. They are with my betta and I’d hate to have a situation on my hand.

5. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

There are a few different varieties of blue shrimp - you'll want to look for the neocaridina davidi species, which are the most common and easiest to take care of. Of the neo davidis (also known as cherry shrimp), the blue varieties are:

Blue dream/blue velvet/blue sapphire - look almost the same, depends on intensity of blue and where on the neocaridina family tree the shrimp came from. All are a dark blue, but different breeding.

Sky blue velvets - lighter

Blue carbon rili - comes from the carbon rili line, which is a stripe pattern where the head and tail are colored, the mid body is clear. In blue rilis the clear part is tinged blue and the ends are black

Blue jelly - the lightest, came from the red rili blue line where the red colored ends were bred out and the clear tinged mid body segment became the entire body

This may be a little confusing so here's a visual:

^Blue pearls are also a thing, from neocaridina palmata aka neo zhangjaijiensis, but they're very difficult to find.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice