Dwarf Crayfish killed cherry shrimp

CoolCoryCatz

I am absolutely baffled but I may just be an idiot...
Everywhere I looked on the internet said “believe it or not dwarf crayfish make great tank mates for cherry shrimp! They don’t eat the shrimp at all!” I thought that was amazing and perfect for my tank. The dwarf crayfish has been in there for a while and has never bothered my ghost shrimp nor my endlers. As soon as I get home with my new cherry shrimp I notice one of them was berried! Rejoice!! I was about to have many more shrimp than I paid for! I acclimated them just fine and put them in, watched them swim down to the bottom unbothered by the endlers, and saw the crayfish grab the berried shrimp, flip her over, and start to eat her eggs. Horrified I tried to separate them but it was too late for the expectant mother and she had been killed. I was able to scrape her eggs out and have them in a home made tumbler in another tank. The dwarf crayfish hasn’t bothered the other cherry shrimp so I’ve left him in there but I’m heartbroken about what happened. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Did the internet just straight up lie to me? I think it could have been a territory issue but like I said he never bothered my ghost shrimp and has left the other cherry shrimp alone. Please help me out here

AcornTheBetta

I am absolutely baffled but I may just be an idiot...
Everywhere I looked on the internet said “believe it or not dwarf crayfish make great tank mates for cherry shrimp! They don’t eat the shrimp at all!” I thought that was amazing and perfect for my tank. The dwarf crayfish has been in there for a while and has never bothered my ghost shrimp nor my endlers. As soon as I get home with my new cherry shrimp I notice one of them was berried! Rejoice!! I was about to have many more shrimp than I paid for! I acclimated them just fine and put them in, watched them swim down to the bottom unbothered by the endlers, and saw the crayfish grab the berried shrimp, flip her over, and start to eat her eggs. Horrified I tried to separate them but it was too late for the expectant mother and she had been killed. I was able to scrape her eggs out and have them in a home made tumbler in another tank. The dwarf crayfish hasn’t bothered the other cherry shrimp so I’ve left him in there but I’m heartbroken about what happened. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Did the internet just straight up lie to me? I think it could have been a territory issue but like I said he never bothered my ghost shrimp and has left the other cherry shrimp alone. Please help me out here
As far as I know, I don't think that is a very good mix...

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

As far as I know, I don't think that is a very good mix...
Yeah I’m starting to think so too I’m just baffled why every link on the internet said it would be okay :/

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Maybe he’s not being fed enough. How much do you feed him and how often?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

It also might depend on the species of crayfish in question.

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

Yeah I’m starting to think so too I’m just baffled why every link on the internet said it would be okay :/
Perhaps it’s cause she was berried? He left the unberried shrimp alone and never once touched my ghost shrimp. Pretty upset about this whole thing as I was so excited to have the berried shrimp but it’s my own fault things went down :/
He gets fed often and likes sinking shrimp pellets and bloodworms. He was fed before acclimation started to avoid this.
It also might depend on the species of crayfish in question.
Mexican dwarf crayfish. “Perfect tank mates for cherry shrimp” according to the internet

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

There are lots of species of crayfish.

I kept 'Cambarellus patzcuarensis'. Shrimp eggs do sound like a tasty snack for a crayfish! I kept my dwarfs with cherry shrimp I never saw them eat cherry shrimp, but I presumed they might at some point as I had a large population of cherry shrimp.

Cherry shrimp are fast... The female shrimp may have had other issues if the crayfish was able to simply catch it and flip it around.

You might not have appropriate species of crayfish... some 'dwarfs' can get larger. Can you post a picture?

Upvote 0

Ouse

Dwarf crayfish will eat whatever they catch. Amanos are better companions because they’re larger, but since your crayfish has a taste for shrimp I wouldn’t try it.

What do you feed your crayfish?

Upvote 0

GlennO

Probably wouldn’t have helped that the shrimp was likely initially disoriented and not able to react very quickly having just been added to the tank.

Upvote 0

richiep

I think the mdc seen the shrimp as her regular meal which unfortunately the berried one paid the price, even after acclamation when shrimp go in the tank they can be shocked and naturally stay still for a while which was the problem, hopefully that's it and he should leave the rest alone, mdc are opportunistic and will eat shrimp that as problems or dying, hopefully you tumbler will give you young,
I have personally kept them with shrimp and no problems

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

we
There are lots of species of crayfish.

I kept 'Cambarellus patzcuarensis'. Shrimp eggs do sound like a tasty snack for a crayfish! I kept my dwarfs with cherry shrimp I never saw them eat cherry shrimp, but I presumed they might at some point as I had a large population of cherry shrimp.

Cherry shrimp are fast... The female shrimp may have had other issues if the crayfish was able to simply catch it and flip it around.

You might not have appropriate species of crayfish... some 'dwarfs' can get larger. Can you post a picture?
this is the same one I have too. I think it was a combination of disorientation and tasty shrimp eggs. If I were to go get a replacement today would there be something I could do to prevent a similar incident? I’d try to get a non pregnant one ofc

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I think you were misinformed lol. Just assume everything eats cherry shrimp... but with enough hiding spots you can still keep cherry colonies thriving alongside other livestock.

Upvote 0

Catappa

Perhaps it’s cause she was berried? He left the unberried shrimp alone and never once touched my ghost shrimp. Pretty upset about this whole thing as I was so excited to have the berried shrimp but it’s my own fault things went down :/

He gets fed often and likes sinking shrimp pellets and bloodworms. He was fed before acclimation started to avoid this.

Mexican dwarf crayfish. “Perfect tank mates for cherry shrimp” according to the internet
Two of my books have info regarding various kinds of crayfish. For Cambarellus patzcuarensis , the advice is NO tankmates, other than possibly one other of its kind. Aggressive. Minimum size for aquarium: 30 liters. pH 6.5 - 8.5, never acidic. Temperature: 10 - 26 C. Omnivore. Origin: Patzcuaro lake, Mexico.
No powerful filtering, as leaf and other debris provides extra food. (One of the books says that another reason not to have other tank inhabitants is that they may prefer them and not have a balanced diet, which is bad for them.)

Upvote 0

CoolCoryCatz

Two of my books have info regarding various kinds of crayfish. For Cambarellus patzcuarensis , the advice is NO tankmates, other than possibly one other of its kind. Aggressive. Minimum size for aquarium: 30 liters. pH 6.5 - 8.5, never acidic. Temperature: 10 - 26 C. Omnivore. Origin: Patzcuaro lake, Mexico.
No powerful filtering, as leaf and other debris provides extra food. (One of the books says that another reason not to have other tank inhabitants is that they may prefer them and not have a balanced diet, which is bad for them.)
I’ve had it in those parameters with endlers and ghost shrimp no problem for the last 3 months, this was the first issue. If I had to remove it from that tank what could I do with it? There’s no aquarium society around me and the place I got it from does not accept returns

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I'm guessing your crawfish didn't see that, or can't read.

Upvote 0

Catappa

I’ve had it in those parameters with endlers and ghost shrimp no problem for the last 3 months, this was the first issue. If I had to remove it from that tank what could I do with it? There’s no aquarium society around me and the place I got it from does not accept returns
This just proves there are no hard and fast rules in the natural world and there are always exceptions to even the best-researched information! If your crayfish continues to be predatory, maybe you can advertise for a new home for it. If it only occasionally is an opportunistic carnivore, maybe you can cut it some slack.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

'if it can catch it, it's dinner' is my stance

my crawfish is blue but getting purple undertones (where it used to be white) because he eats so many ramshorn snails

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Willj626
  • Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986