dwarf crayfish compatability Question

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

More specifically, orange/mexican dwarf crayfish (CPOs!). These guys are just really interesting to me and would love to know more about them. They seem to stay small, max of 1.5", have little pinchers, and hear they are less aggressive than their relatives. Does this make them compatible with most tank specimens? I have read mostly positive results in a community type of setting, as long as there is enough space and places to hide. How are they with other bottom dwellers and shrimp?
  2. Heather12404 Member Member

I have a CPO and he's just awesome. I had him in my 10G with my betta and all was fine for a while. Then my betta started harassing him so I moved him to my 29G. He's been fine in there for a long time and no one bothers him and he doesn't bother anyone. I highly recommend them. I had red cherry shrimp in my 10G and he never bothered them. I have panda cories, mystery snails, and most of my fish are down in the tank at some point (like eating their pellets off of the gravel) and no one bothers him. He'll fly backwards super fast if someone gets too close....so he's much rather ran away than fight.
    I love CPO's sooooooooo much.

3. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i have two in my 12g with espei rasboras and sparkling gouramis....and if the fish get to close to their wafer/pellets, they will try to nip at the fish and catch them. so while they seem less aggressive, i really think they have quite a bit of attitude. so just be careful =]