Dwarf Crayfish And Betta

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I keep eyeing the dwarf crayfish at the LFS. They are so cute! Has anyone kept them with a betta? Everything i have read says they are peaceful, although somewhat aggressive with their own species. It's a 15 gallon column tank so there is plenty of room for my betta to hang out far above the substrate.

I am also wondering what type of substrate is best for them. Right now i have fluval stratum, which i hate, so i am thinking of switching it out for something else.

Fishy McGee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Most of the dwarf crayfish kept in the past pinch anything flashy and nearby. The wavy tail is a pinching target. Bettas are aggressive a lot, so you may also have issues with it trying to find and opening. However, if the tank has plenty of hiding you may have no problem. In reality, trial and error is the best option because I could be wrong

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So far Banshee seems to show zero interest in snails. I thought the crays would have enough armor so i wouldn't have to worry about them getting hurt.

I think i may try it. I have a spare 10 gallon if it doesn't work out.

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had a dwarf crayfish once...he decided to go on an adventure outside of the tank and dried out.

My betta was very curious and all in the crayfish’s business at first until the crayfish decided to hitch a short ride on a fin. The fin was never injured, but he was distressed. Afterwards, the betta was still curious on occasion, but would keep a respectful distance.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mexican dwarf crayfish are probably the only cray that can do well with a betta. They're tiny and usually well behaved.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom