dwarf crawfish

1. Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca Valued Member Member

so after my blue died after only a week. ive given it a few weeks. im ready to try again. this time i was thing about a dwarf orange if i can find it. anyone ever have one? i havewhat about 2 i herd that there much freindlier then there larger brothrin. so idbe willing to try.

2. GgAcE

GgAcE Valued Member Member

All crayfish tend to be somewhat aggressive. I have owned 3 blue lobsters a the same time over about a 3 year span. One kicked the bucket unexpectedly during what seemed to be a molting gone wrong. The other 2 were best friends for about 2 years before they turned on each other one night. With one sole survivor, I hang out to hope because everyone loves a "blue lobster".

Regardless of the species of cray, they all seem to have a territorial temperament at one time or another.

Of course the tiny little claws on the dwarf version wont be nearly as powerful =P

3. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

That's not necessarily the case with the dwarf varieties. I had 6 of the self-cloning variety for a few months. The only time I had a problem was with a very aggressive water change. I took out 80-90% of the water and that put all the living creatures in my tank in close quarters. I don't think the crays liked the fish being in their faces, so they trimmed some fishey fins. The fish came out okay, but I never did that much of a water change all at once again.

Aside from that, the only problem they created was constant uprooting or trimming of plants. That is what got them re-homed.

4. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca Valued Member Member

yes. tbe most i would do is a 50%. i have 4 danios 2 neons and couple of shrimp as a treat to my old blue. 2 juliis coreys i will rehome if i can find 2 dwarfs locally. i have a 20h. some nice hiding places a bubble wand the aqeon whisper filter that came with my tank. i bought a diy tank filter from petland.