Dwarf crawfish putting sand on herself?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I got a female dwarf crawfish not too long ago. She was eating well and very active for two days, then became a lot less active and showed less interest in food. This went on for a few days, until sure enough I saw a complete shed. She came out of hiding a few minutes ago and she seems to be putting sand on herself? She picks up grains of sand and puts them on her head. There’s actually a few grains of sand still on her head right now. She also seems to be rubbing her eyes. I gave her a sinking pellet, which she showed no interest in. Is it normal for them to put sand on themselves after a shed?

Best Answer - View Cheesecake's answer

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crimson_687 said:
So I got a female dwarf crawfish not too long ago. She was eating well and very active for two days, then became a lot less active and showed less interest in food. This went on for a few days, until sure enough I saw a complete shed. She came out of hiding a few minutes ago and she seems to be putting sand on herself? She picks up grains of sand and puts them on her head. There’s actually a few grains of sand still on her head right now. She also seems to be rubbing her eyes. I gave her a sinking pellet, which she showed no interest in. Is it normal for them to put sand on themselves after a shed?
It could be she's trying to hide. Do you have plenty of hiding places for her?
And yes it's normal behavior. As for not eating, that also is normal, as she's probably still getting used to her new shell.

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cheesecake said:
It could be she's trying to hide. Do you have plenty of hiding places for her?
And yes it's normal behavior. As for not eating, that also is normal, as she's probably still getting used to her new shell.
I have multiple rocks and a driftwood with a large crevice in it, though it’s a bit of a climb. I’ve also recently added a temple plant, which provides cover among the stems. When she shed, she hid on a driftwood under an anubias. I realize it’s probably not the best hiding spot, but it’s what she chose. I’m planning to add a small cave, just didn’t expect her to shed within a few days of getting her. I also have a piece of chola wood I kept vertical. I’ll angle it so that she can climb in it

New Threads