dwarf cories?

imnettin

Reaction score
??? I read that I can't have the dwarf variety of cory because regular aquarium gravel (which I have) will wear down their barbels! Is this true? I sure want a few of them, but not to their detriment.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my book, Aquarium Fishes of the Worldby Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod, Dr. Warren E. Burgess, Neal Pronek, Glen S. Axelrod, and David E. Boruchowitz, it says that the Corydoras Pygmaeus or Dwarf Corydoras or Pygmy Corydoras actually spend very little time on the bottom of the tank and "Contrary to the actions of its relatives, Corydoras pygmaeus swims mainly in the middle reaches of the water; it spend little time on the bottom, or at least much less than the other Corydoras." It says nothing of a warning about treating them any different concerning substrata choices. It is advisable with all catfish to use care in using extremely rough surfaces but standard aquarium gravel should not be a problem.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. I have not had the pleasure of posting to you before and I do hope that you find our site as helpful as I have. I have found some of the finest people it has been my good fortune to know either online or off here. I do hope you stay around and join us. We will do all we can to help you have a good experience in keeping your fish. Again, Welcome.

Rose

imnettin

Reaction score
;DThis is such good news! I really wanted the little guys! I've been lurking on here a while, and love the forum! You are all so incredibly helpful! Thanks for the answer! ;D

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been in the hobby for 3 years and have heard that regular gravel will hurt not only the pygmy corys, but the regular sized corys as well. I have always had my cory cats in a tank with regular gravel, and have yet to see any of them with worn down barbels.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom