Dwarf Coral Platy Pregnant?

JtheFishMan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Should be pretty soon. That is about as big as her stomach will get, but it will start to square off, like the shape of a box. Once the stomach squares off, you should see fry from her in the next few days.

OP
M

MrMaroon

Reaction score
JtheFishMan said:
Should be pretty soon. That is about as big as her stomach will get, but it will start to square off, like the shape of a box. Once the stomach squares off, you should see fry from her in the next few days.
Thanks, this will be my first time having fry!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will get no babies from that fish, that is a MALE Balloon Platy. The spinal deformity makes the abdomen protrude like a pregnant fish, but it is not. If you look closer, you will see that the analfin is a gonopodium that is almost completed in developing.

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
You will get no babies from that fish, that is a MALE Balloon Platy. The spinal deformity makes the abdomen protrude like a pregnant fish, but it is not. If you look closer, you will see that the analfin is a gonopodium that is almost completed in developing.
So I did guess it right!

OP
M

MrMaroon

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
Interesting. It was in a tank at my LFS with dwarf coral platies, I bought three of them about three weeks ago and was told I received 2F/1M. The one pictured above did not have this big of a belly the first two weeks I had it! The "only" male (at least, I thought) they sold me does not have this big of a belly either...

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MrMaroon said:
Interesting. It was in a tank at my LFS with dwarf coral platies, I bought three of them about three weeks ago and was told I received 2F/1M. The one pictured above did not have this big of a belly the first two weeks I had it! The "only" male (at least, I thought) they sold me does not have this big of a belly either...
You also got to check that gonopodium which is that fin at the bottom. Males will have the little point as yours does and females have a bit of an extended one bit like a normal looking fin.

OP
M

MrMaroon

Reaction score
NC122606 said:
You also got to check that gonopodium which is that fin at the bottom. Males will have the little point as yours does and females have a bit of an extended one bit like a normal looking fin.
Yes, the one I knew was a male has a pretty distinct gonopodium, and doesn't have a round belly at all with the same bone structure as the one I posted.. that's why I thought the one I posted was a female

New Threads