Dwarf Coral Platy Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by MrMaroon, Jun 24, 2019.

1. MrMaroon

MrMaroonNew MemberMember

I know that livebearers are almost always pregnant when in a tank with a male, but I’m curious how far along this platy is in the process? Any guesses of when I should be expecting fry?

Attached Files:

2. JtheFishMan

JtheFishManValued MemberMember

Should be pretty soon. That is about as big as her stomach will get, but it will start to square off, like the shape of a box. Once the stomach squares off, you should see fry from her in the next few days.

3. OP
    OP
    MrMaroon

MrMaroonNew MemberMember

Thanks, this will be my first time having fry!

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

You will get no babies from that fish, that is a MALE Balloon Platy. The spinal deformity makes the abdomen protrude like a pregnant fish, but it is not. If you look closer, you will see that the analfin is a gonopodium that is almost completed in developing.

5. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

So I did guess it right! :)

6. OP
    OP
    MrMaroon

MrMaroonNew MemberMember

Interesting. It was in a tank at my LFS with dwarf coral platies, I bought three of them about three weeks ago and was told I received 2F/1M. The one pictured above did not have this big of a belly the first two weeks I had it! The "only" male (at least, I thought) they sold me does not have this big of a belly either...

7. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

You also got to check that gonopodium which is that fin at the bottom. Males will have the little point as yours does and females have a bit of an extended one bit like a normal looking fin.

8. OP
    OP
    MrMaroon

MrMaroonNew MemberMember

Yes, the one I knew was a male has a pretty distinct gonopodium, and doesn't have a round belly at all with the same bone structure as the one I posted.. that's why I thought the one I posted was a female