Dwarf Cichlids / Rams

Lee Burton
Anyone suggest where near Northampton, England I can get some decent dwarf cichlids?

All the shops seem to have are bland, no colour rams like look more like a small perch. Very little colour..

Any help welcome.

baldegale
Anyone suggest where near Northampton, England I can get some decent dwarf cichlids?

All the shops seem to have are bland, no colour rams like look more like a small perch. Very little colour..

Any help welcome.

ive been having the same concern at my LFS with rams, but ive been assured by a few members on here that once you get them home and give them good care theyll color right up!
655f0b7d881e3732005d93b981936d0f.jpg heres one of them from my LFS

German Blue Ram/electric Blue Ram?
Question - German Blue Ram/electric Blue Ram? if you read more towards the bottom of this thread, its discussed

Lee Burton
Thanks for your reply.. Yours looks awesome in comparison. I'll try and grab a pic of my one at the mo. I got two that were the best I could find.

20180819_141757.jpg

baldegale

from what ive been told the stronger black bars going across in the mid section are due to extreme amounts of stress. someone mentioned that in my thread, they said they got a GBR that had a solid black bar going right down the middle which meant they were super stressed out, theyve had the fish for two days and the bars are gone and its starting to color up again

Lee Burton
And there was me looking for them with more black... (roll eyes)

Oh well I'll let you know how they go over the next week.

Iboughtmykidfish
from what ive been told the stronger black bars going across in the mid section are due to extreme amounts of stress. someone mentioned that in my thread, they said they got a GBR that had a solid black bar going right down the middle which meant they were super stressed out, theyve had the fish for two days and the bars are gone and its starting to color up again
Aww he's so cute! And from the looks of it, just a baby still. His full colors may take a while to come in, but it's worth the wait, and you get to watch him grow. That is a bolivian, right? Any amall amount of stress for mine, and the black stripes come in real fast.

Iboughtmykidfish
That ram looks really unhealthy to me. Is the belly that sunken in in real life?
Good eye! I was thinking(hoping) it was just a bad picture/angle. I have to distract all my fish with flakes before I feed my ram, or they steal all his food

baldegale
Good eye! I was thinking(hoping) it was just a bad picture/angle. I have to distract all my fish with flakes before I feed my ram, or they steal all his food

I'm probably gonna have this problem too being that I have super fast lemon tetras, whenever I feed frozen I'm probably gonna use a turkey baster and feed the rams first, but thatll be a few weeks away

Lee Burton
I don't think he's starving. . He's only been in my tank a day and was in a specimen tank in the shop. Checked they both ate ok this morning ... Does seem a little dipped in the abdomen though.

I'll post another pic.
20180819_144214.jpg

Iboughtmykidfish
I'm probably gonna have this problem too being that I have super fast lemon tetras, whenever I feed frozen I'm probably gonna use a turkey baster and feed the rams first, but thatll be a few weeks away
My gourami are the food theives in my tank, lol. I just put a few flakes in on the very left side of the tank and as soon as they start eating I put my ram's food down on the bottom right (which is where his established territory is) and he gets most of it before anyone else notices. He sees flakes going in and he swims right down to his spot, he knows his meal is coming too.

baldegale
My gourami are the food theives in my tank, lol. I just put a few flakes in on the very left side of the tank and as soon as they start eating I put my ram's food down on the bottom right (which is where his established territory is) and he gets most of it before anyone else notices. He sees flakes going in and he swims right down to his spot, he knows his meal is coming too.

that's adorable, just after feeding them today my lemon tetras are fiends for food! and I only have 6 of them right now. by the time I get the rams I'm gonna have 15+ of them

Iboughtmykidfish
that's adorable, just after feeding them today my lemon tetras are fiends for food! and I only have 6 of them right now. by the time I get the rams I'm gonna have 15+ of them
I love the lemon tetras, ive been considering adding a school to the tank with my ram in it. How do yours act? Are they nippy at the other fish? Hhmm, maybe I need to make a run to the fish stores and have some looks. I do have a quarantine tank just waiting for some new fish..

baldegale
I love the lemon tetras, ive been considering adding a school to the tank with my ram in it. How do yours act? Are they nippy at the other fish? Hhmm, maybe I need to make a run to the fish stores and have some looks. I do have a quarantine tank just waiting for some new fish..

I just got them yesterday! theyre my first fish in the tank. watching them school is so cool, and there's only 6 of them currently. PM me and we can talk about them more cause we kinda hijacked this thread!

Iboughtmykidfish
I don't think he's starving. . He's only been in my tank a day and was in a specimen tank in the shop. Checked they both ate ok this morning ... Does seem a little dipped in the abdomen though.

I'll post another pic. View attachment 468946
If you just got him, he may not have been getting enough food in the store, depending on where he was at in the pecking order. Just keep an eye on him and if he's eating but not plumping up, or stops eating, or otherwise actimg strange or lethargic, then there may be an issue to look into.

Lee Burton
Will do.

Iboughtmykidfish
I tried, and it wouldn't let me. Sorry for the hijack, btw.

baldegale
I tried, and it wouldn't let me. Sorry for the hijack, btw.

hm, wouldnt let me either

Lee Burton
It's ok..... I'm easy (so to speak).

Iboughtmykidfish
It's ok..... I'm easy (so to speak).
Lol, thanks. Now that I see another pic, I can tell hes a german. What temp is he at and how old is the tank. I don't have any, but I know they are really sensitive to tank parameters

Lee Burton
Tank is about 5 months. Good water quality, well planted. Temp is 28c.

baldegale

(28°c is 82°f)

do you know what the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are? and your pH?

Lee Burton
Last night were: zero ammonia - pH is approx 8 - I only have dip sticks for nitrate and nitrite but were still showing zero.

(28°c is 82°f)
That's ok isn't it?

baldegale
Last night were: zero ammonia - pH is approx 8 - I only have dip sticks for nitrate and nitrite but were still showing zero.

that pH is really high for a GBR

That's ok isn't it?

yes, I was just making the change so others didnt have to!

also, how did you acclimate it? did you just float the bag or did you do drip acclimation?

Lee Burton
I did ask the fish shop about the ph but as they were on tap water from same source said they'd be ok..... :/

also, how did you acclimate it? did you just float the bag or did you do drip acclimation?
I floated and added small cups over a period of about an hour + a half.

baldegale
I did ask the fish shop about the ph but as they were on tap water from same source said they'd be ok..... :/

depends, pH can vary from different places. depends on the piping and other things, next time you go there, ask them their exact parameters when it comes to pH

I floated and added small cups over a period of about an hour + a half.

okay, well just have to wait and see what happens. besides pH I don't know what else could be wrong besides that the fish was sick of sorts when you purchased it

Iboughtmykidfish
Most captive bred fish can tolerate a wide range of ph's. Some do prefer water that matches their natural environment, and seem not to thrive if the water is too far off, no matter how well kept they are. I believe germans are one of those fish.

Lee Burton
okay, well just have to wait and see what happens. besides pH I don't know what else could be wrong besides that the fish was sick of sorts when you purchased it
Hopefully he'll fill out and get some colour..

kayla.s
It's hard to tell from these pics but I suspect this might be a female, just btw

Lee Burton
Sadly skinny ram didn't make it His mate though ..... Colours are coming out now.
20180822_181840.jpg

AquaticJ
It looked like it had internal parasites by looking at the first picture. I wouldn’t focus on your PH, I’d be focusing on your GH and KH, and your PH will follow. The general and carbonate hardness of the water is what is really crucial in keeping Rams.

What are the tank mates?

Wickedfun
I love my Rams! I keep 5 GBR and 4 EBR with 4 cory cats and 3 peacock gudgeons

Attachments

• 20180718_100809.jpg
    20180718_100809.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180801_100126.jpg
    20180801_100126.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 83
Lee Burton
I love my Rams! I keep 5 GBR and 4 EBR with 4 cory cats and 3 peacock gudgeons
They're lovely!

It looked like it had internal parasites by looking at the first picture. I wouldn’t focus on your PH, I’d be focusing on your GH and KH, and your PH will follow. The general and carbonate hardness of the water is what is really crucial in keeping Rams.

What are the tank mates?
Some guppies and rummy nose.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1
Got mine and they got really colorful in no time! I am in Texas though, sorry.

And wow! Those are pretty! Any advice on care?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
Top Bottom