Dwarf Cichlids are fighting

1. h

hgrad98 Valued Member Member

So in my 29 gallon south American dwarf cichlid tank, I have a pair of sunburst cockatoo cichlids, 2 bolivian rams, a few cories, 2 Kribensis, and one extra female triple red cockatoo cichlid. The problem is, the original pair of cockatoo cichlids established their territory, and it happens to be the entire right half of the tank. So that leaves the other half for the rest of the fish. (However, the cockatoos don't seem to mind the corys) And the bolivians came second, I actually had gotten three, but they turned out to be males. One was bullied to death before I could save him, and the other two claimed their tiny corner territories. I got the kribs yesterday, along with some plants. I wanted a pair of kribs, but they are both female. Now, the larger female established her cave, and chases the smaller one. The pair of cockatoos are chasing everybody. And the little female cockatoo just hides. the bolivian rams are constantly duking it out.

What I want to do, is;
    - Take back both bolivians, get a male and a female. (this way, one won't fight the other, because they're both new)
    - Take back the small female cockatoo, maybe exchange it for a bigger one
    - Take back the small krib, and get a male

What I want to know, is;
    - Is there something I can do to make the Cockatoos' territory smaller by adding lots of plants and caves?
    - Are there any south American fish (don't have to be cichlids) that can sort of make things calmer in the tank? like maybe tetras?

thanks.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep the maximum number of dwarf cichilds you should have in a 29g is two. Also, you should try not to have a breeding pair.

3. OP
    OP
    h

wait, yep to what part of it?

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The part where max dwarf cichlids in a 29g you could do is two or you'll definitely see some territorial issues. :)

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with Dom. You have too many territorial bottom level fish. Your tank inhabitants would be happiest with one breeding pair (either the cockatoo cichlids, rams, or kribs).

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can have a trio of apistos in a 29.Two females and one male. I would not keep other bottom dwellers with them in a tank with that footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Granamyr

Granamyr Valued Member Member

Looks to me like you have about the right number of dwarf cichlids for a 90 gallon tank in your 29 :D That's causing all your fighting.

8. OP
    OP
    h

I'd have to disagree with that statement, Granamyr. I have a total of 8 fish in here, and I'm 100% certain that you can put more than 8 fish in a 90 gallon. 40 average sized AFRICAN cichlids is considered pushing it for a 90 gal. Anyways, that's just my opinion. All I'm asking, is if heavily planting the tank going to change it a bit. I will move the fry and the mom into the breeding tank, when the time comes

9. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Its not that you are overstocked, you are just overstocked with dwarf cichlids. I think it would actually be worse if you got breeding pairs of each in there. Their aggression comes out more when its that time. Pick one that you like most, keep a male and a female, or 2 females of apistos (cockatoos) like BDpups said, and either get rid of the rest, or get a bigger tank. I think you may be able to get away with 2 bolivian and 2 krib in a 55 gallon, provided there are enough dens/territories...

10. Granamyr

Granamyr Valued Member Member

Hgrad98 you can put a whole lot more than 8 fish in a 90 gallon aquarium. However for the dwarf cichlids you have, you shouldn't put more dwarf cichlids than that in a 90 gallon.

With those 8 dwarf cichlids you could put 50 neon tetras or 50 rummy nose tetras and be just fine if you had a 90 gallon aquarium.

Now if your 90 gallon is heavily planted like you mentioned you could put more than 8 in there depending on the types. 29 gallon will be tough

11. OP
    OP
    h

I might get a bigger tank soon, or give the breeding pair plus another female a 20 gal to breed in