Dwarf aquarium lily in a nano?

Fishstery

I hope everyone had a nice holiday!

I just recently set up a nano tank for my betta that is going to arrive in the mail next week. I have yet to put the filter on (its running on another tank to keep it seeded) so please excuse the cloudy water and air bubbles. Im pretty satisfied as I want to keep it a simple set up and not have it overcrowded with plants, however I feel like something is missing in the back behind the driftwood. Im considering either: hydrocotyle vertallicia or a dwarf lily. I haven't kept hydrocotyle before but I really enjoy how they grow and it would be cool to have it grow up the driftwood stump and grow outside the surface. But I also love my dwarf lilies in my 29 gallon and like the contrast of red. So, this tank is only 11 inches tall and the lily would be planted on the slope, has anyone kept it in a short nano tank? It would only have a few inches of water above it. I dont prefer surface leaves so I know I can grow it bushy with trimming but would probably let this one surface for my betta. Also I would like others opinions on doing hydrocotyle or the lily in the back of this scape. Thanks!

20201228_003822.jpg

faydout

Haven't kept them in a nano tank, but the couple that I have in bigger ones make me think the individual leaves (not the lilypads, the submerged leaves) would each take up a huge part of the inside of that tank. some of the bigger leaves are probably 6" X 4". Besides all that... how about a red tiger lotus. Basically the same kind of plant, smaller individual leaves (3" X 3" seems to be normal for the 2 I've got), that red / purple color would absolutely pop on that slope behind the wood

Upvote 0

Fishstery

Haven't kept them in a nano tank, but the couple that I have in bigger ones make me think the individual leaves (not the lilypads, the submerged leaves) would each take up a huge part of the inside of that tank. some of the bigger leaves are probably 6" X 4". Besides all that... how about a red tiger lotus. Basically the same kind of plant, smaller individual leaves (3" X 3" seems to be normal for the 2 I've got), that red / purple color would absolutely pop on that slope behind the wood
I dont use any crazy ferts or lighting and the leaves in my 29 gallon dont get much bigger than a tennis ball so im not overly concerned about the leaf size. But I dont mind trying new plant species, although I read that the lotus may stay dormant for long periods of time? Or take upwards or months to a year to sprout from the bulb, have you experienced that? My lily only went through a dormant period once in the year ive had it and it was only for about 2 weeks before it sprung up again.

Upvote 0

faydout

One of my dwarf lilies went into a dormant period when I was trying to train it not to put up lily pads which lasted about a month. I haven't had any on either of my tiger lotus. One of them took awhile to start sprouting, but I can't say if it was an issue with the bulb or the fact that my Keyholes were offended by it's presence and drug it around the tank for a few weeks before I moved it to another tank. I've since put it back in with the Keyholes, and it's the better of the 2 now. TBH, I've had more issues with the dwarf lily bulbs. I got a couple that fungussed over and never sprouted, one from Aquarium Co-op, another from a different online seller that I like. From what I've read, that's just a thing with the dwarf lily's.

As far as my lighting and stuff, I've got a 24" Fluval 3.0 and 2.0 (6 hours each per day) on the tank that I sprouted both tiger lotus bulbs in (also has both of my dwarf lily's), and 2 X 36" Fluval 2.0's on the tank that has the nicer tiger lotus in it now. I do at most the recommended fert dosing on them with Thrive, and run a passive CO2 system on both tanks. Passive systems are the ones that you manually fill some sort of bell once or twice a day. So nothing crazy in my setups.

Upvote 0

Fishstery

One of my dwarf lilies went into a dormant period when I was trying to train it not to put up lily pads which lasted about a month. I haven't had any on either of my tiger lotus. One of them took awhile to start sprouting, but I can't say if it was an issue with the bulb or the fact that my Keyholes were offended by it's presence and drug it around the tank for a few weeks before I moved it to another tank. I've since put it back in with the Keyholes, and it's the better of the 2 now. TBH, I've had more issues with the dwarf lily bulbs. I got a couple that fungussed over and never sprouted, one from Aquarium Co-op, another from a different online seller that I like. From what I've read, that's just a thing with the dwarf lily's.

As far as my lighting and stuff, I've got a 24" Fluval 3.0 and 2.0 (6 hours each per day) on the tank that I sprouted both tiger lotus bulbs in (also has both of my dwarf lily's), and 2 X 36" Fluval 2.0's on the tank that has the nicer tiger lotus in it now. I do at most the recommended fert dosing on them with Thrive, and run a passive CO2 system on both tanks. Passive systems are the ones that you manually fill some sort of bell once or twice a day. So nothing crazy in my setups.
I have no experience with cO2 and I really don't feel like trying to tackle that learning experience on this tank. I just want a simple, very low matience betta tank to stare at while I get ready for work every morning lol! But if someone can share their experience with no cO2 and tiger lotus im still pretty interested in trying that species out. Ill take it then that your vote is a lily and not hydrocotyle

Upvote 0

Perlumia

I have a dwarf lily in the back of my 10 gal QT, and the leaves aren't that big. It does well in that tank (better than the 75 it began in). Hydrocotyle is one of those plants I've personally tried and had no luck growing. But I don't use CO2, either.

Upvote 0

oliveoil

I don't think Hydrocotyle would fill in that back area super well, although it would look cool on the wood/emersed. I also vote for the dwarf lily or a tiger lotus. The pop of red and leaf shape would really complete the scape imo.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kelvin12
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies