Dwarf Anubias and Java Fern

1. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Alright well im going to have live plants...

My tank is a 5.5 gallon, it has no CO2, i don't plan on using ferts and its low light.

So far im going to have:

Java moss
    Java fern
    Water sprite--will this work, some will be planted and ill have a floating one.

So my questions are:

1. Will java fern grow on a clay pot?
    2. Will dwarf anubias grow in substrate and if not what is another low light plant that will grow well in substrate?

Phil :)

2. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Dwarf anubias (anubias nana) will grow in substrate but it will grow out of it and its roots will hang out so it can be happy... Its roots will not stay IN the substrate...... And Java fern will grow on a clay pot... use cotton thread to tie it on and by the time it rots away it should be fastened to the pot...

3. OP
    OP
    p

Alright so whats another plant that i can replace dwarf anubias with? A sagiteria maybe?

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Any bunch plants (hornwort, anacharis) will grow in gravel. So will sagitteria and valliseria. And yes, java fern will grow on a clay pot (it grows on almost anything, from resin ornaments to rocks).

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Anubias does just fine with its roots in the substrate. It's the rhizome that you don't want to bury. If you gently push the roots into the substrate, they will grow down into it eventually.

6. OP
    OP
    p

Alright I think I will go with some sort of sagiteria, whats a good kind for a newbie plant owner? Maybe some dwarf ones? how many should i get?