Dwarf Angelfish Question

BoSox Fan7
What is the size tank I would need to get away with having 2 dwarf angelfish in the same tank? They would be a Bicolor and a flame dwarf angelfish.

sgould
I have read 30 gallon minimum for either of those species, but given that the bicolors can reach 6", I personally would be looking closer to 50 gallons to be sure that it had some swimming room.

BoSox Fan7
Yeah, but how big would the tank have to be to have both in the SAME tank.

Mike
IMO - They are too aggressive to keep in the same tank unless it's a very large tank (like 100 gallons +) with lots of hiding places. Even then they can get aggressive with each other.

BoSox Fan7
Ok, thanks.

BoSox Fan7
Also, do you have an idea about why they hate each other?

Mike
Not sure on the exact reasons but probably because of mating (harem breeders - gotta protect the females from other males), feeding and territorial issues. Many are algae grazers and they have to protect their food source from competitors.

diver28
I've successfully put two dwarf angels in my tank but its 100 gallons. For the first few days the EiblI Angel was getting its butt kicked by the Flame non-stop for two days. then all of a sudden it stopped. And they swam side by side. It was as if the Flame said you can stay here just don't cause trouble.

Some tricks I hear you can do is to add them at the same time maybe however, with 50 gallons I'm not sure it would work. Also, if you were to add them in one at a time maybe move the rocks around and add a new rock or something so it feels like its new for the existing angel. I'm always trying to create a brand new hiding place when I add a new fish so hopefully he realizes that no one is using it! House for Sale right! Again, not sure if it works.

Jesses89
OR you could go with one of those dwarfs of your choice and a Genicanthus angel....

Genicanthus aren't as aggressive towards each other, unless its two males-but males are hard to find, as other angels...

in a 75 I have
Coral Beauty
Swallowtail Angel - female - genicanthus
and a Lamarcks Angel- female-genicanthus

but if you insist on those two dwarfs.. id recommend atleast 100 gallons.. add them at the same time.

When I had a 55 I had a coral beauty and an EiblI with no problems what so ever... the key for me was... I made two different rock formations in the tank... so that the angels would feel each one has its own territory... worked.

BoSox Fan7
I was planning on eventually getting a 120 reef tank. I don't know where some peole were getting 50 gallons though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Semiaquatic
Replies
Views
Nisha2001
Replies
Views
nemo addict
Replies
Views