Dwarf angel in a reef

1. Semiaquatic Member Member

I'm looking to add a dwarf angelfish to my reef tank. I have coral in it and I am hesitant to get an angel because I have heard online that they can nip at coral. Also I have recently heard firsthand from people who have been in the hobby a long time that they haven't had any trouble with the coral beauty or bicolor angels in their reef tanks.
    I'm looking at either a coral beauty or a bicolor and am just interested to hear if anyone has any insight into this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi and I have a coral beauty in my reef tank. So far, there has been no nipping and I know when I was researching a dwarf angel, the coral beauty was one that was identified as more reef safe than many.

3. Semiaquatic Member Member

Ok cool. Is the key to keep it really well fed?

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I think it is hit and miss - I've had a coral beauty that would nip everything and also had one in another tank that was great about not nipping corals. I've also kept a flame angel that was a model tank mate, didn't nip at corals or the clams. I feed pretty heavily and skim on the wetter side.

5. thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I believe pyramid butterflies don't eat corals

:)

6. Semiaquatic Member Member

But don't butterflies need big tanks? I wanted a dwarf angel because I have a 29 gallon tank

7. thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry, I got butterflies and angels mixed up...
    As u can see, I'm not much of a SW person (I don't own one), but my local aquarium has a huge GIANT display of SW fish.
    They have corals with Angels, but I don't look so carefully. I just know the pyramids don't eat the corals.

:)

8. Semiaquatic Member Member

My girlfriend surprised me with a bicolor angel today!

9. Semiaquatic Member Member

Actually now that I saw it, it's a cherub and it's so cute

10. James Cochran Well Known Member Member

Hows it been?

11. Semiaquatic Member Member

It's doing great! Very colorful and peaceful fish. I love it

12. Semiaquatic Member Member

I got a gorgonian and a big torch with 6 heads yesterday so it's starting to fill out. I just need to build up the rock and add a shelf so I can put a sun coral because my girlfriend love them

13. wbc Member Member

With it being a 29 gallon I would highly recommend Pygmy Angels. I had one and he was great. He nipped at corals a little bit but like mentioned above it's a hit or miss. But they are very very small, smallest of the dwarf angels...like 2.5" I myself plan to get a coral beauty in the next several days.

14. Semiaquatic Member Member

The cherub angel is considered a Pygmy, right?

15. wbc Member Member

Semiaquatic Oops haha I had a dumb moment there, yes they are pygmies silly me. Just disregard that.

16. Semiaquatic Member Member

Ya. I love mine