Dusty water?

1. jaetee Initiate Member

I have a question that seems to go along with a new tank cycle. I too have a ten gallon tank that has been running for about 6 or 7 weeks now. I just recently changed my filter about 3 days ago and now my tank has kind of a dusty look to the water. It's not really cloudy just kind of looks like there is dust floating in the water. I thought it would go away but hasn't. :confused: what should I do?

Also on a side note. I have a betta in my tank with ten guppies. he leaves all but one of them alone. And the one he didn't leave alone I added after he was in there because one of my guppies died. I was wondering would I be able to remove the betta until my guppies tail healed and then put the betta back or should I just leave him in there and continue to monitor the situation?
    :;thx in advance for the help.

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I would suggest putting the Betta in it's own tank. Betta's generally don't do well with other fish.

3. jaetee Initiate Member

So after much observation of my tank I don't think that it is my betta anymore that is being the tank bully. I think that it is one of my fancy tails. Imagine that.

My water is still dusty looking. Any suggestions anyone?

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    I moved your questions to a thread of it's own.
    It'll be less confusing for you, the members helping and the OP of the other thread.

I go along with John. A betta doesn't belong in a 10g with guppies.
    Someone is bound to get hurt or killed. :(

I'm not sure about the dusty water. Does your filter have a good current?
    How often are you vacuuming?

5. jaetee Initiate Member

Vacuuming????? I don't know what you mean here.... My filter seems to have a fairly good current. Kind of gentle but good. What would that affect? Also I have 3 cory cats in my tank now. They have been there for about a week now. I thought they were supposed to be eating the extra food that falls to the bottom so.....if I vacuumed my tank wouldn't it take away their food source?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello jaetee. Welcome to Fish Lore! Here is a link on Bettas that you may find very helpful. I agree that your Betta should really have a home to itself.
    Betta Fish Care Guide
    Important Betta Topics - Read First!

1/3 of your tank should be vacuumed every month. Here is the vacuum/gravel vacuum I use:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3889

Good bacteria to maintain your cycle is also in your substrate (along with your filter) so you don't want to vacuum the entire tank at one time. Removing too much good bacteria can cause your tank to go into a mini cycle with raised ammonia levels that can be fatal to your fish.

Your Cory Cats will learn to forage all over the tank for food, top, bottom middle. I have 4 Cory's in my 265g tank with much larger fish. It's rare that food, even sinking pellets, makes it to the bottom for the Cory's to eat. They are all over the place at feeding time and they aren't going hungry :)

There is a good chance that your dusty water is a bacterial bloom. Not harmful to your tank or fish. It will eventually go away on it's own. Very common in new tanks up to one year. Or, it could be dusty looking do to the fact that you switched filters and hopefully you kept the filter media that was in your old filter?

Best wishes!
    Ken

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Vacuuming once a week will pick up the fish waste and old food that get buried under the gravel.
    It's an important part of aquarium maintance.
    As Ken said, your cories will still have enough to eat.
    Here's a video showing how to vacuum:
    1-2-3 easy aquarium siphon instructions - video

8. jaetee Initiate Member

I don't understand what you mean by "Hopefully you kept the filter media". I changed the filter so naturally I threw away the old. Should I have kept it and just set it in the filter container with the new filter until the new one was there for a while? I am very confused. ??? I have a top fin 10 filter where you change out a carbon filled white mesh bag and that is it. I did make the newbie mistake of rinsing the filter with just tap water. A mistake I will not be making again. Now that I know better.