Dusty Water?

1. Daniellevictoria

Daniellevictoria Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this is the right place for this!

I wanted to make my water as crystal as possible, i had noticed it seemed a bit dusty. So i put some polyfil into my AC20 between the sponge and the carbon. It didnt seem to make a difference, so i did a 35ish% water change. (I usually only do 20, my fish got sucked up in my gravel vac and its a long story)

Now it seems worse off then it was. So i just took the polyfil out. What else could be causing this?

My temp is at 80. (Usually 84-5 currently calibrating my eheim)
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5

It just looks like dust being pushed around by the water flow. Is it just too small to be filtered out?

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,573
    84 - 85 F is very high. Is there a reason for this?

I'd keep the polyfill in the tank. I also use fine micron felt pads, and that helps as well. A larger water change would also be beneficial.

3. DylanM

DylanM Member Member

Ratings:
    +166
    If it's dust you are seeing just let the filter floss run for a day or two, you shouldn't expect immediate changes in water clearness after adding it. The water change probably made it look worse because you kicked up dust and fish waste during the change, which will actually help clean out your tank in the long run, you may have to rinse it out if it gets too dirty though.

4. OP
    OP
    Daniellevictoria

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive only had my fish for 2 weeks, he had ich, so i was heat treating with frequent pwc. I was waiting a little while before doing a huge wc but if the dusty stuff doesnt settle ill do it sooner.

5. VioletSS

VioletSS Member Member

Ratings:
    +262
    All good advice so far.
    You probably stirred stuff up after wc. My tank always needs to settle after a cleaning.
    I've got a polishing pad in my filter - it helps a lot, but you do need to give it time to work.
    Very pretty tank! :)

6. OP
    OP
    Daniellevictoria

Ratings:
    +0

Thank you! I moved stuff around which probably stirred up alot more then usual. Its always settled pretty quickly which is why i was concerned by how much was still floating. I threw out the polyfil i had in there-it was pretty nasty already, so ill pop some more in and just wait it out.

This is my first fish so im probably over thinking everything

Thanks everyone for the input!

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,573
    With the heat treatment for ich, you should be doing water changes and gravel vacs at least every other day anyway.