"Dusty" water?

ghardin

So I'm having some problems with cloudy water, nut its not really cloudy... its dusty. Like little little white specks that looks like dust blowing around my tank, and they won't go away! I have a pic and video, but I can't upload the video until later, youtube is blocked at school. And it doesn't go away with my water changes, always comes back! Any help will be appreciated!

photo.JPG

CatfishJack

Is this the tank in your profile that was started almost a year ago?

ghardin

Well I really should correct that, because although I started fish keeping over a year ago, this participial tank has only been running since December 29th.

ghardin

Yeah, The API Master kit, I believe my last ratings were about 0,0,~5

CatfishJack

was the cloudiness present when you got those results?

ghardin

Yes, it's been there about 2 weeks.

ghardin

Ok, trying to bring this thread back to life.. I just thought about something, I've been keeping the lights on for quite a long time in order to 'stock' my tank with algae for incoming otos, could that also be a factor?

Aquarist

Good morning,

Are you using Activated Carbon in the filter? If not, I would add some. If you are using it and it's more than 3 weeks old, it should be replaced for fresh. If the Activated Caron is fresh, then I would add more.

If this is a bacterial bloom, the Activated Carbon will not remove it. Bacterial Blooms have to run their course.

Another option is to add a Micron Filter Pad to the filter. These pads do clog easily and need to be replace for a fresh one in a day or two. They are reusable, soak in bleach water solution for 48 hours, rinse, air dry and they are ready to use again. Too, these pads will not remove a Bacterial Bloom:

Hopefully it will clear soon.

Ken

JustKeepSwimming

It could be the gravel. When I was a new aquarium owner and bought the Walmart gravel, I didn't rinse it well enough and it made my tank dusty.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RL2021
Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views
Potato1
Replies