"Dusty" water? Should I be worried?

KArrow

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone would have any idea what's up with my tank. It looks like a bunch of dust swirling around in the water. I noticed it a good few weeks ago, and it's there all the time, maybe a bit worse after a water change. I do water changes regularly(though maybe not as often as I should) with tap water using Prime.
Amonia is zero, nitrites zero, nitrates a little high at around 60ppm (thus the brown algae), temp 77, ph a bit low at 6.8. I did recently put some coral pieces in the tank to slowly raise the pH, but I noticed this stuff before that. I have a black sand substrate with a handful of live plants along with a few fake.
36 gal, with a stock of 8 guppies, 10 corys, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 3 nerite snails.
I run a Fluval 207 filter.
I regularly dose with Seachem stress guard and Pristine.
All the fish are acting fine, but I'm just wondering if this is anything to be worried about?
Thanks!

You must be registered to see images

StarGirl

Probably nothing to worry about, Do you have some kind of filter floss in your 207?

I wonder if the cories are kicking up stuff from the bottom?

mattgirl

I regularly dose with Seachem stress guard and Pristine.
First I would stop adding these 2 products. Second I would run some poly-fill in the filter to help polish the water. I am assuming a 207 is a canister filter. It would be a lot of work having to change out the poly-fill as often as needed. Can you possibly add a HOB filter? If so you can run nothing but the poly-fill in it and can easily change it as it gets dirty. It should help polish the water by catching all the floating stuff.

Once the water has cleared up you may want to continue running the HOB filter. Don't put the disposable cartridges in it. Add a media bag of bio-media such as matrix, lava rock or ceramic rings in there and continue running poly-fill in it to keep the water polished. Since we aren't depending on the poly-fill for our bio-media it can be changed as often as necessary. I run it in my filters and normally change it out a couple of times a week.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RL2021
Replies
Views
JustKeepSwimming
Replies
Views
A. Rozhin
Replies