Dusty and cloudy aquarium..

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Lamina, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Lamina

Lamina Valued Member Member

my 5 feet tank has been running for 2 month..its dusty and cloudy..my fileration system is aquanic AQ700 and Periha external automatic filter (UV)..only 1 arowana in the tank..this picture shows my filter..any solution?already did water change twice a week..

10292_499310456760773_1340432033_n.jpg

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Anytime you have a question on water quality or fish health, the most helpful piece of info you can give are your current water parameters, especially ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. :)

How long has your arowana gotten? It's possible that the biofilter is trying to catch up with its increased load.

Also, how well do you clean your substrate with the gravel vac, what's your filter cleaning routine like, have you fed anything particularly messy lately, and have you recently changed out the substrate?

3. OP
    OP
    Lamina

well i only have ammonia test kit..ammonia reading shows 0.25 ppm..my arowana has been in the tank for 1 month..my tank has no gravel..i clean my tank once a week..feeding my arowana with freeze dried shrimp and hikari food sticks sometime twice a day..

4. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

So nothing at the bottom? If so that's your issue the poop is likely floating into the middle of the tank. I would get something at the bottom quick to stop the issue.

5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

OK, I would highly suspect the cloudiness being due to the fact that your tank is not cycled. Do you clean the filter? If so, how? If you don't, that's also important information. How much media and what kinds are in your filter?

I do not believe that to be proper nutrition for an arowana, but you will want to confirm that statement as I have not really researched them. It wouldn't be the answer to your cloudy tank, but something to think about.

You really, really need to look into getting a proper test kit. And a bigger tank for your arowana. It really is insufficient.

EDIT: fishaddiction is not really correct. I have seen tons of barebottom tanks with perfectly clear water. It is not terribly uncommon for tanks to be kept bate for ease of cleaning.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

With an Ammonia reading of .25, I would suggest daily water changes and adding Prime water conditioner to detox your levels for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily water changes until you have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20 Nitrates (under 40 not so bad). This will keep your fish safe and prevent Ammonia Poisoning. Any amount of Ammonia can be harmful to your fish.

If you can acquire the API (Liquid) Master Test Kit, it will be a great help to you and your fish.

ChristmasStar.jpg Too, if you would please, complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Best wishes for your fish.

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    Lamina

ok ken..thanks for the input too.. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice