Dustinsfishtanks.com

HappiestCamper
So I took the 'lazy' route with my planted tank and impulsively bought a package from dustins fish tanks. I bought the 'standard' package, it's supposedly customized, I'll post more on it with pictures when it arrives. All in after buying red clay for my plants it was about $60. Anyways I wanted to ask if any of you have ordered a package or just from the site in general? And wanted to start a feed to post about my experience for anyone else who may be interested

Side note, I'm no longer allowed to "look" at fish sites when I can't sleep, I don't think my wallet appreciates it

Advertisement
jasonstanks
ive ordered from him and all plants are thriving , very good experience here from that site

Advertisement
DanB80TTS
I always thought his plants were on the pricey side. Would like to see how they look when they arive though as well as how they are packaged.

jasonstanks
definitely worth the money I received a amazon sword that was a crazy giant for very very fair price , not too mention about a month after I had it it gave me 3 more baby plants to fill up other tanks

HappiestCamper
I wouldn't have paid "full price" without the coupon code the package was $99.99 and the clay was $10. Shipping was $7.65. I'll post photos of all of it. I think I got my order in on time for it to ship out tomorrow! Which would mean it arrives by Friday.

I'm mostly curious as to if it's actually customized at all like he says it is.

I'll post pictures of everything from beginning to end.

*side note, I do like supporting someone full of passion rather than a chain store, plus his daughter is adorable.

jasonstanks
I completely agree with the passion after watching him for awhile is what sparked me to get back into the hobby and full force with planted tanks

Advertisement

HappiestCamper
Look what came!!!

1469736397252.jpg
1469736407036.jpg
1469736414236.jpg
1469736435881.jpg
1469736444110.jpg
1469736449910.jpg

Overall I'm really happy about it there is the one thing that arrived melted, and what is the thing in the last two? Do I plant it? Lol I do feel like someone at least half way read my comments because I asked about a long grassy plant and got plenty!! I asked about moss though and didn't get any, must not be part of the package over all excited time to get planting

EDIT: I've been working on it off an on all day and I have more plants than I know what to do with, holy cow!! I just want one floating plant and a Christmas moss and I will be SET! Plenty of plants for a 30 gallon would be just as good for a bigger tank because there is just SO MUCH!!!

Gage
I believe it is ludwigia... Correct me if I'm wrong

Show us a pic when they are in the tank

SteveMc
I completely agree with the passion after watching him for awhile is what sparked me to get back into the hobby and full force with planted tanks

Agree he is passionate about aquariums. I subscribed to his Youtube channel for quite a while but had to finally stop watching as his constant yelling, and YO YO, whazzup, ... stuff was really annoying after a while. If he stops trying to talk like a 12 year old I might watch him again.

jasonstanks
happy planting

Advertisement

gocrow77
I like him, and have watched some of his YouTube videos....I can only take him in small doses though. I have enough hyper kids chipping away at my weary mom-nerves, lol. I do think he is knowledgeable, and I really really LOVED his series on fish rooms of the legendary gurus. I could watch those all day long. I am glad to see someone has posted about his sales - I have always been a bit curious what his plant packages actually contain.

HappiestCamper
I like him, and have watched some of his YouTube videos....I can only take him in small doses though. I have enough hyper kids chipping away at my weary mom-nerves, lol. I do think he is knowledgeable, and I really really LOVED his series on fish rooms of the legendary gurus. I could watch those all day long. I am glad to see someone has posted about his sales - I have always been a bit curious what his plant packages actually contain.
I bought a standard package which is supposed to be customized to what can do well with your set up and what you like to an extent. Some of the...vals? Correct me? Were over 2ft long!! And I had specifically asked about a long "grassy" plant. Not sure if it's coincidence of not but I thought it was really cool!

I believe it is ludwigia... Correct me if I'm wrong

I have no idea, it's only like 2 inches long so I wasn't quite sure what to do with it

And I will post pictures once my water clears up there was a bit of an incident with the red clay Thank goodness I don't have fish in here yet!!

esortwell
I'm glad you had a great experience with him! I've wondered about ordering from him in the past and I think this made my decision to do so a lot easier

HappiestCamper
I'm glad you had a great experience with him! I've wondered about ordering from him in the past and I think this made my decision to do so a lot easier
I feel like I got a TON of plants for $50 with the package, the only thing I had to buy to complete my tank plants (in my mind) was a floating plant and I'm going to add moss once I find one I really like. I'm done love to see what you get if you ever decide to go with it

Advertisement

Yves
I feel like I got a TON of plants for $50 with the package, the only thing I had to buy to complete my tank plants (in my mind) was a floating plant and I'm going to add moss once I find one I really like. I'm done love to see what you get if you ever decide to go with it

Looks to me like you got a great deal, I bought my plants in Canada and I paid a lot more then you did for a lot less.

tommywantfishy
Great site. Dwarf Sag 30 stems??? Boom!!! I am in NO way affiliated with this site fyi. Will be going in my 29g. Who doesn't love some Foxtail?

I will also be reviewing the Growth Juice. It is supposed to be an all in one and can last almost 1 year in a 10 gallon tank!
37ba33a858641f541d868080db8fda6c.jpg

sfsamm
I'm interested in what you have to say about the growth juice! I have an order sitting there myself just waiting on some other things and then plan to try his plants myself. Great prices on some less commonly found stuff too!

tommywantfishy
I'm interested in what you have to say about the growth juice! I have an order sitting there myself just waiting on some other things and then plan to try his plants myself. Great prices on some less commonly found stuff too!
I should get shipment in prob. Thursday. This will be my 6th order or so...will keep ya'll posted.

Always FANTASTIC to be honest. You will also get epic discounts and deals once you have purchased.

Advertisement

Bettanewb
Were you able to get in on the free driftwood or free snails promo he had running yesterday?

tommywantfishy
Were you able to get in on the free driftwood or free snails promo he had running yesterday?
We are talking. Ordered before I saw it lol. He is easy to work with. Nice dw and snails!

Bettanewb
That's awesome! I took a look after I got the email I know he ships to Canada but the shipping is so expensive

tommywantfishy
That's awesome! I took a look after I got the email I know he ships to Canada but the shipping is so expensive
Its only 9 bucks to me in Ms.

Advertisement

Bettanewb
All the good stuff in the U.S lol I think the king of diy needs to start something up like Dustin that way I won't get hit with international shipping

ashenwelt
Sometimes I really wonder why shipping anything to Canada is so expensive. Last time I shipped to a friend, what costs 5.35 USD to a friend on the east Coast was 14.00 USD to Victoria! I am in freaking San Diego. Canada was closer lol. But that's the post office...

Bettanewb
I know it's absolutely nuts. Thankfully I live close enough to boarder if I ever need to grab something that may not be available on this side like TSS when I cycled my first tank.

Edit I checked my email and he's continuing the free driftwood or 5 snails for free today

tommywantfishy
Got my 30 dwarf sag stems in, my foxtail, and my plant growth juice......he ran a special a day after I placed my order. I shot them an e-mail and asked if he could include me...it was a free piece of driftwood or 5 snails. Check out this dw he gave me. They also sent me this black tie wire for anchoring rhizome plants! Amazing customer service!!!!
e36b9f136cc3536956e2130a82e9fbe5.jpg
16fa1394b7e59e265ad12c4dc73270f8.jpg
ebe9d40d724dcc07a388c8b866c9f077.jpg

Advertisement

Bettanewb
Let us know how the growth juice works for you I'm very curious.

tommywantfishy
Let us know how the growth juice works for you I'm very curious.
Just dosed this evening. Took befores of my tanks.

Bettanewb
Can't wait to see!

sloughdog
Results of growth juice? The suspense is killing me lol

Advertisement

Fishcat
Ordered five small swords, two of their “7 leaves of buce”, one bunch Saggitaria subulata. Received eleven small swords, sag, and buce with about three times the stated number of leaves. Only problem is I’m not sure where to put all the swords!

ChrissFishes01
His store is about 20 minutes away from me. Great guy!

Cody
Always super happy with Dustins and you usually always get extra. Sometimes even plants you didn’t order.

Flyfisha
Bringing it to you on a Sunday

Advertisement

jkkgron2
Is shipping that bad with dustins? I’ll probably order either way but just curious.

Cody
Is shipping that bad with dustins? I’ll probably order either way but just curious.
I think it’s usually $9.99 which is pretty much standard. And his prices for plants are typically pretty fair for the portion sizes you get too.

fishyfriends876
jkkgron2
I think it’s usually $9.99 which is pretty much standard. And his prices for plants are typically pretty fair for the portion sizes you get too.
sounds good to me! Do you think the 4 pack will be a good thing to get?

Advertisement

Cody
sounds good to me! Do you think the 4 pack will be a good thing to get?
I think that is one of the better deals he has if you want to try a few things out without spending a ton. And you can put in the comments your tank size or what look your going for and it helps them pick what plants they throw in.

Evergreen2
I think that is one of the better deals he has if you want to try a few things out without spending a ton. And you can put in the comments your tank size or what look your going for and it helps them pick what plants they throw in.

I bought that and for your money, it is a really good deal. If the plants live that is. I bought about 30$ in plants from him and so far 80% of my plants died. Three of five types are barely hanging on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Addictedtobettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Msdp11009
Replies
Views
escapay