Dust on water surface???

1. Craig Well Known Member Member

strange question 2 ask but im just wonderin how dust is gettin on2 my water surface i hav closed off the wholes at the bak of my hood and still dust is gettin through, can the dust effect the water or even the fish ?

C W

The Question Man has RETURNED!!!!!!

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it's dust? Is it like an oily film on the top of your water?

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

mine has that too, I thought it was dust ???

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

My 10 gallon used to have the same -- i thought it was dust lol

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

nope mine is definately dust ??? ???

C W

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Craig, then maybe you need to clean your room! LOL, just kidding ;D

7. Craig Well Known Member Member

lol most probably i need 2 give it a good dusting my room is pretty tidy but why dust it if its just goin 2 move the dust about more lol leave it as it is !!

C W :D :D :D

8. chris02_84 Member Member

In all aquariums various organic compounds, proteins and enzymes tend to collect at the surface of the water. These compounds form a "skin" which inhibits the exchange of gases such as carbon dioxide and oxygen from transferring between the water and the atmosphere. If your able to see dust on the top of the water your tank has insufficient circulation.  I had this problem in my first tank..

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe get an airstone (if you don't have one). It will disturb the water's surface and probably prevent any film from forming. I have one airpump connected to 2 airstones - each airstone in each of my tanks (10G and 30G). I never had any film problems. However, if a filter has good water flow, it alone should be able to disturb water's surface enough to prevent any film from forming. What I did is I put my filter at one end of the tank and the airstone at another end - this way there is a continuous round motion of water in the tank. No part of the tank has still water. This should definitely eliminate "dust" accumulating on water's surface. Or at least it does help in my case.

10. Craig Well Known Member Member

yeah i got an air pump 4 this new setup its workin well !

C W

11. sandmaster Initiate Member

Another thing that will cause this dust type material is if you are using flake food. It will get everywere if your fish dont always eat all there food it breaks down and looks like dust.

12. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Another thought, are you using carbon in your filter, and if so did you rinse it reeeeally well? I don't bother with the stuff anymore unless removing meds, but when I used to use it, no matter how carefully I rinsed it, it would leave some dust on the surface when I turned my filter back on. It always cleared up in a day or 2, though.

13. sandmaster Initiate Member

Carbon will not cause dust. I have a dry sump system with 3 carbon filters in it 2 foam filters and have never seen dust.

14. chris02_84 Member Member

i think that what they meant is that there is the black dust if you don't rinse the carbon off before you put it in the tank...but it's a really fine dark dust. i'm sure not all people have this problem...i had it even though i rinsed my carbon filter.....

15. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, that's what I meant chris02_84. Except that in my filter, it causes dust even it you rinse the heck out of it. ::)