Dumbo Gene Help?

Vaughn

Are there certain colors the dumbo gene only works with? It’s hard to find dumbos that aren’t red or yellow butterfly or solid white but I can’t find any research that says those are the only colors they’ll come in. I want to attempt to get the galaxy pattern onto a dumbo betta. I have a male with really strong white patches that haven’t marbled out a whole lot but he’s just a regular hmpk. I know dumbo is a recessive gene so my plan was to breed him to a lighter colored dumbo female so the babies would *hopefully* have his coloring but carry the dumbo gene and then breed the one with the best coloring that I’m looking for to another light colored dumbo(not their mother). I can’t find much research on the color genetics for dumbos specifically. Also I’d only breed ones with good color and finnage but would I have to cross back to the original male at some point to preserve color? I guess I’ll have to see what I get haha but I think the white galaxy patches are also a recessive gene? My male is from a breeder and I think he looks pretty good but can someone else give me their honest opinion? I don’t actually have any pictures of him flaring but I have some that you can see his fins and body pretty clearly.
I’ve done a ton of research on the actual process and I have the time and space to breed and separate the males and I have multiple outlets to sell the fry through here, Instagram, Facebook and local ads. I’ll be getting my live food cultures going soon and have everything ready before I ever attempt to breed the fish. If I have to I can take a few up to a local shop that takes in sellable fish for store credit. I take this very seriously and if it can’t work out I won’t try it. There’s too many bettas dying on shelves to be breeding more just for the heck of it. And I’ll get the girl from a reputable breeder and ask about what her parents and siblings look like so I have an idea of what genes she’ll throw.

DE7E3C13-D3B5-4341-996D-B27F90DA9754.jpeg
0242DD40-24A9-40F7-A92D-44B121AF116D.jpeg
Sorry the lighting is pretty bad in these. They’re from January when I was told he was about 5 months old.

362BAB83-3701-49CE-B1E7-AE700387D8FF.jpeg
83661D6D-935E-4B9E-B642-5B4AB1E8752E.jpeg
These are from a few weeks ago and how he looks now. He should be around 9-10 months now if the breeder told me the correct age. I know that’s a bit old for breeding so would it be okay? I’m sorry if I’m asking really obvious questions I just want to make sure I’m being responsible about this and not putting my fish through unnecessary stress. I’ll spawn them in a 10 gallon and use a 40 gallon breeder as a growout and I’ll have multiple heated/filtered divided tanks for the males and jars for temporary holding in a warm room. I was planning on taking a 40 gallon storage tote and making mesh dividers and dividing that up in 8 or so apartments so I’ll have that too I just need to get it set up and it would be heated with two or three sponge filters. Thank you to everyone who can help!

Vaughn

So I was snooping around and found user socal_bettas on Instagram was able to get the marble gene onto a dumbo betta and claims it’s the first of its kind. Probably the first documented at least but now that I’ve seen one I’m hoping I can recreate it. It probably doesn’t qualify as a good dumbo because it’s fins are clear instead of white but that can be selectively bred for. I’d post a picture of it but I think that goes against the rules here on fishlore so I’ll not haha but I thought that was pretty cool

Mcasella

So I was snooping around and found user socal_bettas on Instagram was able to get the marble gene onto a dumbo betta and claims it’s the first of its kind. Probably the first documented at least but now that I’ve seen one I’m hoping I can recreate it. It probably doesn’t qualify as a good dumbo because it’s fins are clear instead of white but that can be selectively bred for. I’d post a picture of it but I think that goes against the rules here on fishlore so I’ll not haha but I thought that was pretty cool
You can post a link to the picture.
Dumbo is recessive, however the easiest way to do this would be to select two females to breed the male to, get two related (half sibling) spawns and cross them back to each other to get the recessive gene forward. This won't be as close as a sibling to sibling cross and you would have to select both mothers carefully so you can know roughly what they throw and aren't closely related females.
HI'm being a little older can effect the outcome of fry (or rather the amount of viable eggs), but I would choose female similar to his fin type (beyond the dumbo part), if he is a plakat, go with plakat females. If he is a long fin, go with long finned females.

CanadianFishFan

Wish I had helpful Info but Hello
I knew that betta looked familiar and indeed he is from your instagram lol!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
polaroidplus
Replies
Views
bettasXD
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views