Dumb Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyD11730

Valued Member
Reaction score
About a month ago I took possession of 3 Rams. They are in a 55g planted community tank.
I believe I have a blue ram, a gold/German (?) ram and a Bolevian ram.
They are neat little fish. It got me to thinking could 2 of them pair off to breed? Or do rams only breed with other rams that are the same.
Thanks!

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue German Ram and Gold German Rams are the same species, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, just color variants.
The Bolivian ram is Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, which is a different species. They also like cooler water, where as the 'German' variants like the water temp in the 80s.
Could the Blue and Gold mate, I don't see why not, but I have zero experience breeding them so don't quote me on it.

BTW, your cat in the bucket, from what I can see, looks very similar to my cat Jasper haha.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Blue German Ram and Gold German Rams are the same species, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, just color variants.
The Bolivian ram is Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, which is a different species. They also like cooler water, where as the 'German' variants like the water temp in the 80s.
Could the Blue and Gold mate, I don't see why not, but I have zero experience breeding them so don't quote me on it.

BTW, your cat in the bucket, from what I can see, looks very similar to my cat Jasper haha.
You hit it right on the head.

To continue off your post, color varieties can and will easily mix. I have Gold/Blue mixed fry right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom