Dumb Question

1. T

Thatgirlinblack New Member Member

Can guppies and platys crossbreed? Because if not, I have some very silly male guppies to break the new to...

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Male guppies try to breed with everything... I've even heard of them going after eachother before!

Guppies and platies can't crossbreed, no. But, guppies and mollies can, and so can platies and swordtails.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks. I've got two males actually interested in breeding, but they're ignoring the females in there and going after the female platies instead, lol. The male platy is still too young to be assertive. Would you recommend removing one species from the tank to even them out, or just leave the males to it?

4. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Honestly, if you've got male and female guppies in the tank, the females are already probably pregnant, or will be very soon.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Yes lol, my friend has bred guppies before and even explained how the females can store sperm. Dw, I have been watching them for any sort of growth in that area, and also been looking for the vestigal spot in case anything happens. So far, they've been in there for over a fortnight and there hasn't been any developments. Mostly because the males don't seem to care, lol.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I have never heard that guppies and mollies can interbreed. I don't think that's true.

7. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Its true. Guppies x breed with mollies and endlers.

platies can x breed with swordtails

8. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Okay, I just read that Guppies and Mollies can interbreed but the fry will probably not survive long and/or be deformed. They will also be sterile if they do live.

Platy/Swordtail crosses are another story. I have done it and the fry are very healthy and are not sterile.