Dumb Question 20 Gallon Tank

1. Kylee

Kylee Valued Member Member

So this is a dumb question but I just want to make sure everything is okay. In my 20g I have 3 x-ray tetras, 3 guppies, 2 otos, 3 ghost shrimp, and 1 nerite snail. Considering I have 6 algae eaters in my tank, you would think sinking wafers would be popular. If I put algae wafers in the tank the shrimp will mess with it a bit and then it is left alone. I tried putting in sinking shrimp wafers that fish in my other tank eat, and those are eaten more. But over half is still left the next day.
    I never see my otos unless I'm cleaning my tank and move the hides, but whenever I see them they look healthy and at a good weight. My snail is active along with my shrimp who molt their shells as often as they should.
    They seem to be doing perfectly fine which is why it's dumb that I'm even asking if they're okay. But I mostly just want to know of anyone else has experienced this?
    The bottomfeeders in my 55g devour their wafers so it's confusing. :facepalm:

2. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

Scale back the feeding a little, I'd say. It's probably just that there's enough natural food. Your ottos will probably appreciate fresh veggies, more than wafers though. I've avoided them, because everything I've heard about them, points picky eating, food sensitivity, and need for heavy planting.

Fish with more food competition will be quicker to seek stuff like wafers. Fish with adequate food will lean towards the fresh stuff.

3. OP
    OP
    Kylee

Kylee Valued Member Member

Awesome, thank you!!