dumb question about plants!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by midthought, Apr 18, 2010.

1. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I have a rather dumb question that I'm sure will get cleared up super quick. ;D:;fim

Question is this. A plant that grows to height X, which is higher than my tank's height -- will it grow out of the tank? I'm guessing it doesn't "know" that there's only so much water to grow in and stunts itself, right? So what happens when it reaches the surface, the leaves just start floating?

Thanks in advance. Hope this isn't too silly a question. :p

2. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

You just trim yourplants

3. SuaveValued MemberMember

depending on how stiff the leaves are. I have had some that the leave poke out the top of the water, and some that the leaves just end up floating up top

4. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I can understand cutting stem plants like ambulia, bacopa, etc...but I'm not sure I understand how to cut plants like Crypt balansae, where the leaf just starts from basically the bottom and goes all the way up. :shock: Just cut it partway through the leaf?

5. Tanman19azValued MemberMember

Just keep trimming and replanting...that's all I've been doing and my tank is progressively getting greener haha

6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Stem plants can be trimmed & replanted. For your plants like tall crypts & Swords the leaves will either poke straight out the top of the water or they will fold over at the top & just float on the surface. You can also just trim the entire leaf off that is floating/poking out. I trim the whole leaf off most of my plants that are doing that sort of thing.

7. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Okay, gotcha. Thanks! :)

8. SuaveValued MemberMember

so do you trim by cutting where the leaf meets the stem?

9. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes. As close to the stem/crown as possible without damaging it.

10. SuaveValued MemberMember

and after that the leaf just regrows?

11. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Not the same leaf but the plant will continue to grow new leaves as it normally would. Depending on the plant you might be able to trim the top off the leaf but most plants don't usually like that very much & the leaf will often die off anyway.

12. SuaveValued MemberMember

alright cool. GREAT INFO! thanks!!

13. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Crypts will just lean over and float. Crypt leaves can't be replanted and rooted.
    Some stiffer plants like anubias will grow out of the water.
    Carol

14. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Thank you all. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice