Dumb Question About Filter...

Ariel4891
Ok, I don't know if this is actually a dumb question but it sure feels like one.

Does it matter where on the tank you place a filter?

I'm asking because I filled up my 29gal and only then realised that I had the tank pushed too close to the wall and couldnt fit the filter behind. Right now i'm in the middle of a fish in cycle with TSS and can't change the water for another week or so, so the HOB filter is stuck on the side of the tank for now.

I imagine that the best spot is in the middle on the back, but will it be fine on the side for another week? I definitely don't want it there permanently because I plan on getting a glass lid, and the portion I can cut out for the filter will be in the back. In another week, I'm going to do the waterchange and hopefully it will be light enough that I can scoot it forward a few more inches so I can change the filter position.

But in the mean time, is it fine where it is?

Fishlover832
Theoretically you can put a filter wherever you want, as long as all the tank water is being circulated.

DarkOne
There are no dumb questions, just dumb people

It will be fine there. When I was cycling my 40 gallon breeder, I had a HOB on the side for a week while I was waiting on parts for a canister filter.

Ariel4891
Theoretically you can put a filter wherever you want, as long as all the tank water is being circulated.

How can I be sure that the water is being circulated? I have a small sponge filter from an old tank...could I put it on the other side of the tank to make sure the water moves? The only problem is that I am getting a betta on monday and will need the air pump for the other tank and can't afford another air pump since I just dropped $40 on a new light for the 29gal. The Sponge Filter that is meant to go in this tank is currently tied up in my quarantine tank, and by the time I'm done quarantining I very much doubt that this will still be a problem.

Beranga
You should be fine. A single betta produces very little waste, and 29 gallons is a lot of water for him.

DarkOne
What kind of HOB do you have? If it is the right size for your 29 gallon (250-300gph), it should move water from the side or back just fine by itself.

Ariel4891
What kind of HOB do you have? If it is the right size for your 29 gallon (250-300gph), it should move water from the side or back just fine by itself.
I have a Aquaclear 50, which says its good for 20-50 gallons. I'm hoping that's fine?

varmint
Unless you're over stocked, the 50 is fine.

DarkOne
The AC50 should give you decent flow around your tank but it is on the smaller side at 200gph. I have one on a 20 gallon long shrimp tank along with a sponge filter but that's overkill.

The AC70 would be a better choice at 300gph. The general rule of thumb is 10x turnover rate for a HOB and 4-8x for a canister. As varmint said, as long as your not overstocked, you should be fine.

The best prices I've found for glass lids is from Dr Fosters and Smith (Aqueon VersaTops).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
!poogs!
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Walky
Replies