Dumb Question About Cycling

IntegralGuy

Apologies, this question is probably pretty stupid but I'm not sure of a solution.

Anyways, I'm doing a fish in cycle. Yes, I know, it's bad, I wanted to do a fishless cycle, but one thing led to another, and I ended up with fish in uncycled tank. Don't worry, immediately dosed with prime, and started testing water.

Tank is now cycled, no fish hurt or killed. No gasping, ammonia burns or nothing, so reat! I have some diamond tetras in here, but they have a low bioload, and I want to add cichlids into here. It's a 22 gallon long (36 by 12 by 12), either gonna add apistos or bolivian rams. These fish will produce a lot of poop and ammonia, so my question is, how should I prep my tank for their bioload? I don't want to add ammonia directly into a tank with fish-is there another way? Or do I just have to do this? I will do a fishless cycle next time, I think my tank actually may have been cycled when I added fish in (my ammonia test is defective and always returns 0.25, even in my filtered water, which is definitely ammonia free, and may have not shook my nitrate test enough so I got back 0s when I may have had them), anyways, thanks, sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't really know much about how to do and troubleshoot fish in cycles.

ButtercuptheOranda

This is a very good question not dumb at all I’m curious to see the answers I’m not knowledgeable about this personally when I cycled my 20 gal tall I put in 1 small goldfish until I had 3 small goldfish and then I switched to a big goldfish and everything was ok so maybe add 1 or 2 at a time? I don’t know sorry lol

Upvote 0

IntegralGuy

That was the plan for now-to add cichlids and keep on dosing with prime for a bit to detoxify it until bioload is built up. Curious if there was a better way, no worries about not knowing lol
Maybe I should I change the title lol

Upvote 0

Dechi

You add a few at a time, test to make sure ammonia is in check, wait until the bioload is well managed (3 weeks) and then add a few more.

Make sure your tank is big enough for those fish and that they are not too aggressive for what you already have.

Upvote 0

IntegralGuy

Thanks, will do! I do a ton of research before adding any fish so don't worry, I'll add appropriately sized fish, with low aggression.

Upvote 0

AvaTheFish

Hey! I do think that adding little at a time would be good, but before the run to get the fish or the day before adding them does with quick start bacteria? Of some kind anyway. This will help with quicker conversion since your tank is still relatively new and the colony of bactiaria is young.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Its not a stupid question! Even if it were, dont hesitate to come here!

1. Make sure that your tank becomes fully cycled.
2. Wait another month, especially for cichlids.
3. Don't add too many fish at once. Acclimate carfully.
4. Observe new fish! Check nitrates.
5.Enjoy new fish!

Upvote 0

Frank the Fish guy

I say put all the fish into your tank and quickly get through the cycle period. The reason is that the rate that the bacteria grow is proportional to the amount of ammonia. 2x the ammonia, the bacteria grows 2x faster. So what this means is that you just put ALL of the fish in. Let it bloom, and change the water to keep the fish safe. By doing it all at once you get through the cycle very quickly. Otherwise you will be dragging it out which will stress you and the fish and require lots more water changes.

The toxic level for ammonia depends on your pH. At lower pH, ammonia is less toxic: http://www.blueridgekoi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/pH-and-Ammonia.pdf

So measure you pH to know what you need to keep ammonia below.

And no Prime does not detoxify ammonia. It's just that ammonia is not toxic below 1 ppm unless your pH is very high. So Seachem says that Prime detoxifies ammonia. People buy it and dump it into their tanks and Prime gets credit even though the fish would have been fine anyway. $$$$$$

Upvote 0

FishDin

I say put all the fish into your tank and quickly get through the cycle period. The reason is that the rate that the bacteria grow is proportional to the amount of ammonia. 2x the ammonia, the bacteria grows 2x faster. So what this means is that you just put ALL of the fish in. Let it bloom, and change the water to keep the fish safe. By doing it all at once you get through the cycle very quickly. Otherwise you will be dragging it out which will stress you and the fish and require lots more water changes.

The toxic level for ammonia depends on your pH. At lower pH, ammonia is less toxic: http://www.blueridgekoi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/pH-and-Ammonia.pdf

So measure you pH to know what you need to keep ammonia below.

And no Prime does not detoxify ammonia. It's just that ammonia is not toxic below 1 ppm unless your pH is very high. So Seachem says that Prime detoxifies ammonia. People buy it and dump it into their tanks and Prime gets credit even though the fish would have been fine anyway. $$$$$$

That's an excellent chart. Thanks

A good side note is the comment about drip acclimation.

Upvote 0

IntegralGuy

Thanks for all the responses...feel betrayed by prime. I wasn't too worried as I did a lot of research into ammonia and cycling, and learned that lower ph means less toxic ammonia, and I have acidic ph. I am getting some different answers, I'll see what my lfs thinks with regards to the specific cichlid I get. I probably won't add all the fish at once just because I may get apistos which are very sensitive to that, but I'm not fully decided.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HKsai
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
1201td
Replies