Dumb question about cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by LindaMS, Jul 29, 2015.

1. LindaMS

LindaMS Valued Member Member

I have an overload of fish in a cycling tank, but have been adding A.C.E. Eliminator and water conditioner doing 20% daily water changes.

I am testing Ammonia and Nitrites every day and my Ammonia was reading .5 but Nitrites and Nitrates are 0.

I have let the A.C.E. tabs dissolve pretty much and notice the Ammonia is now going down to .25 still no Nitrites...

Fish still all looking normal and they have been in the tank 8 days now.

Would it be dumb to ask if you used A.C.E. or some other chemicals forever that you would still keep your fish safe?

In other words not ever doing a conscious cycle, but just making sure you test regularly and eliminate the bad stuff. Would be expensive I know but better than dead fish.

Cheers
    LInda

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Linda
    Never a dumb question. There are probably others who wonder the same thing.
    I'm sorry but I do not know what A.C.E. Eliminator is or does.

3. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/aqua-master-a.c.e-ammonia-chlorine-eliminator-block.html

I am in Australia of course they may not be available in USA.

This is the tablets I have been using, apparently they convert the dangerous ammonia into ammonium. They last about a week dissolving slowly. I did also add water conditioner to new water so this is more of a supplement. The fish are all good so far, but because I was getting crazy .5 ammonia readings I have let them dissolve and now my ammonia reads around .25

I was just wondering if throwing a couple of these in long term would be helpful and if one failed miserably to get this 'cycling' thing happening would this ensure safe water for ones fish.

After my first run in with two fish dying (even though I was testing and all readings 0) I do not want that to happen again if I can help it.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

As long as you have fish in the tank and don't replace your filter media cycling will happen eventually anyway, it's a naturally occurring process when there's ammonia present. I guess while you're getting things started it couldn't hurt but you shouldn't need to use them indefinitely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Thanks Bijou88!

I have been worrying that my larger tanks may never cycle so at least I feel I can keep them safe until they do once I move my fish over.

Given the numbers in the tank I am amazed they are all alive at this point including 'baby Alpha' my single guppy fry that was born alive. He is 5 days old now, living in the breeder box that hangs off the Mum's tank sharing the water. I will hopefully make the grade of fish keeper sometime !

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

.5 isn't that horrible for ammonia during a cycle, it's stressful for them but not immediately deadly. Some people have had readings of 8.0ppm, eek. :/ you're doing ok if it's only going to .5.

Glad to hear your fry is doing well btw! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

In the US we have API Ammo Lock Chips. Same type of thing. Im sure it wouldnt do any harm to keep them in there especially if they get stuck in the gravel or something. Most people use Prime as water conditioner, i don't, because prime will make (most people don't know this) other chemicals, like Malachite green or any ick med, inactive. I think the Ammonia lock chips are awsome, much better than using a "ammonia/nitrate/nitrite" detoxifier every WC. I just use regular declorinator. Thats just me personally. Im sure someone will find something wrong with it. BTW i raise guppies for past 7 years anything you want to know just ask me.

8. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

9. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

The main thing the prime does to effect these meds is the copper that it detoxifies. Prime will bind or detoxify Ammonia and Nitrites, as well as several heavy metals like copper which is a major ingredient in many meds. Prime wont negatively impact meds that dont contain copper. In my case, I have high ammonia from the tap, 0.50 to 4.0ppm so I have to use prime, but if you have good tap water, any dechlorinator should do just fine for you. Prime can be handy if you have some sort of spike in ammonia for some reason, so in case of emergency, I like it.

10. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Hi Bluestreakfl

I do have Prime handy but at the moment only use my dechlorinator plus the A.C.E. tabs. I am not using any meds, fingers crossed, everyone seems really healthy at the moment.

My tap water tests 0 for Ammonia so any spike will be from the tank. I test twice every day due to the large number of fish I have in this QT tank :(

I have my 90 litre going but almost too scared to move anyone while they are ok in case the tank is not ready and at the moment I am not getting any readings at all. I am feeding it fish food.

11. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Yeah, im not so sure that the pipes around here (my town is the oldest in the state of nebraska, dates back to late 1800s prarie days.) are not the culprit of some of my fish woes. Thanks for your post. To what source did you hear that prime only neutralizes copper and heavy metals, not other chemicals we put in the water? You raise a good point, sometimes our old pipes are just nasty and full of leaching metals........ not good for fish in high doses.

12. Bluestreakfl

I had emailed Seachem a while back, when I first got into the hobby I had to use an invert safe (no copper) med for Ich as I had shrimp in the effected tank, and I was also having an ammonia spike, so I asked them if prime was safe to use while medicating. They said according to their labs, prime should only effect copper based meds. Any non copper based med should be unaffected.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. OP
    OP
    LindaMS

Update: so far everyone still with me including baby alpha so I am feeling less anxious. I still do two water changes every day, my ammonia hit around 1 a couple of days ago according to the Master kit but no sign of problems with the fish. It is back to around .5 now but still no sign of nitrites or nitrates.

The guppy tank is reading around ..25 and is getting 2 x water changes a day too. I will not have the A.C.E. tabs in the tanks for a day or two as they are in the post to me, none of the lfs had any :( so it will be interesting to see if the readings drop. In theory they should not if I am actually getting a reading of .5 ammonium I should get .5 ammonia without the tabs until I add Prime or something else.

My fishless cycling tanks have all 0 readings still after 3 weeks on the 90 litre, it is a tedious process isn't it!

I will post a pic of Alpha soon, I think at 1.5 weeks old that Alpha is a girl as I believe I can see a triangular transparent anal fin and it seems to be quite a big fry. Measures about 1.25cm from head to tail excluding tail fin.
    Cheers
    Linda

14. Bluestreakfl

Any kind of bacterial additive should help speed it up. I personally prefer tetra safestart plus. Seachem also makes one called stability, though I haven't personally used it, I've heard it also works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice