Dumb Betta Question Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Addie42, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Addie42

Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Hey guys
    Somebody just told me “ Colored [eyes] means juvenile and adult means black. That’s how I was told by vet on how to tell older from younger” about betta’s eyes. Is this....
    Um... true??? I’ve never heard this before. Don’t some adult bettas still have blue eyes?

2. TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +449
    Experience:
    3 years
    Mine has one blue eye and one black eye and I believe he’s an adult since he’s making bubble nests. However, his color variation is morphing because he’s a koi. His blue eye is half black now compared to completely ice blue when I got him.

3. OP
    OP
    Addie42

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Kind of weird... idk anything about Betta Breeding since I have not done it. My betta
    (that passed) used to have blue eyes. but when I turned the lights on they would go black. Lights off, they would be blue again. Super weird

4. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,134
    Experience:
    4 years
    I've never heard of such a thing. Both my bettas have red coloured eyes, my rescues have black eyes and I've seen many petstore bettas that have coloured and black eyes. They're all fully grown.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Addie42

Ratings:
    +1,364
    LOL what a weird thing to claim came from a vet

6. TheBettaSushi

Ratings:
    +449
    Experience:
    3 years
    I’m pretty sure what you witnessed with the lights off was just a reflective glare... mine reflects red when the lights are off.

7. OP
    OP
    Addie42

Ratings:
    +1,364
    huh weird. I always thought his eyes just went blue when he was dreaming. When I first got him he was in such an awful state he didn't even look like a betta and his eyes were blue then

8. TheBettaSushi

Ratings:
    +449
    Experience:
    3 years
    Any stressed or diseased fish can be paler and look different compared to a healthy one. I’ve never seen Bettas eyes shift color unless they’re a koi/marbled gene where the most dominant color takes over especially in the eyes. However, when you look closely, especially in the dark, you will see the glare or reflection which hits between the fish and the glass (or acrylic) tank. The best way to get the true coloration of your fish is to take it outside during daylight where you can really see the true depth of colors. With mine, he’s more of a blood red in his tank (even with excellent and expensive lighting) but in daylight, he’s actually burnt orange. The lights, the reflection of the tank and your eyes can be deceiving sometimes.

9. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    Never heard of it, don't think it's a dumb question, but it's not true. Got an adult splendens (at least 14-16ish months, but he's got the old man hunched back since like October) with green eyes, and all my adult imbellis have blue eyes.