Dumb Betta Question

Addie42

Well Known
Hey guys
Somebody just told me “ Colored [eyes] means juvenile and adult means black. That’s how I was told by vet on how to tell older from younger” about betta’s eyes. Is this....
Um... true??? I’ve never heard this before. Don’t some adult bettas still have blue eyes?

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Addie42 said:
Hey guys
Somebody just told me “ Colored [eyes] means juvenile and adult means black. That’s how I was told by vet on how to tell older from younger” about betta’s eyes. Is this....
Um... true??? I’ve never heard this before. Don’t some adult bettas still have blue eyes?
Mine has one blue eye and one black eye and I believe he’s an adult since he’s making bubble nests. However, his color variation is morphing because he’s a koi. His blue eye is half black now compared to completely ice blue when I got him.

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
TheBettaSushi said:
Mine has one blue eye and one black eye and I believe he’s an adult since he’s making bubble nests. However, his color variation is morphing because he’s a koi. His blue eye is half black now compared to completely ice blue when I got him.
Kind of weird... idk anything about Betta Breeding since I have not done it. My betta
(that passed) used to have blue eyes. but when I turned the lights on they would go black. Lights off, they would be blue again. Super weird

Repolie

Well Known
I've never heard of such a thing. Both my bettas have red coloured eyes, my rescues have black eyes and I've seen many pet store bettas that have coloured and black eyes. They're all fully grown.

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
LOL what a weird thing to claI'm came from a vet

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Addie42 said:
Kind of weird... idk anything about Betta Breeding since I have not done it. My betta
(that passed) used to have blue eyes. but when I turned the lights on they would go black. Lights off, they would be blue again. Super weird
I’m pretty sure what you witnessed with the lights off was just a reflective glare... mine reflects red when the lights are off.

OP
Addie42

Addie42

Well Known
TheBettaSushi said:
I’m pretty sure what you witnessed with the lights off was just a reflective glare... mine reflects red when the lights are off.
huh weird. I always thought his eyes just went blue when he was dreaming. When I first got him he was in such an awful state he didn't even look like a betta and his eyes were blue then

TheBettaSushi

Well Known
Addie42 said:
huh weird. I always thought his eyes just went blue when he was dreaming. When I first got him he was in such an awful state he didn't even look like a betta and his eyes were blue then
Any stressed or diseased fish can be paler and look different compared to a healthy one. I’ve never seen Bettas eyes shift color unless they’re a koi/marbled gene where the most dominant color takes over especially in the eyes. However, when you look closely, especially in the dark, you will see the glare or reflection which hits between the fish and the glass (or acrylic) tank. The best way to get the true coloration of your fish is to take it outside during daylight where you can really see the true depth of colors. With mine, he’s more of a blood red in his tank (even with excellent and expensive lighting) but in daylight, he’s actually burnt orange. The lights, the reflection of the tank and your eyes can be deceiving sometimes.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Never heard of it, don't think it's a dumb question, but it's not true. Got an adult splendens (at least 14-16ish months, but he's got the old man hunched back since like October) with green eyes, and all my adult imbellis have blue eyes.