Duckweed

1. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I added a lot of duckweed to Rekka's tank yesterday, thinking he would appreciate the extra shade to avoid the light. However, the amount I ordered was enough to basically cover the whole top of the tank. When I fed him this morning, he couldn't figure out where the food was...

I have removed some, but should I remove more of it and leave half the tank without any?

2. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Good question. I'd most likely leave, at a minimum, 50% open. Light still gets through and there's plenty of shade to boot. It also offers a sizable area where he'll learn where to get the food

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Just be warned that it multiplies quickly and you'll be thinning it out each week. Also, if you have any other plants, it tends to block the light getting to them so they could suffer. It's happened to my tank which is why I'm trying to get rid of it but failing! :mad: Duckweed is really the pest snail of the plant world.

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Well after my last floating plants, I figured I needed something I was less likely to kill. Was already planning to keep an eye on the other plants, but definitely appreciate the warning

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Duckweed is so hard to get rid of! Good Luck!

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Looks good to me but as mentioned you will be thinning it out frequently! In spite of its "enthusiasm" I do like the plant. I think it makes a nice forest canopy effect:)

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

As long as he has enough space up top to breathe, eat, and for your plants to grow, the tank looks fine to me.

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Great, thank you all!

10. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

If you have barbs or gold fish you could transplant some, they eat it quick.
    my goldbarbs eat tons, so i keep adding more.

11. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Extras are going in with my pest snails currently. Might get eaten, might not...

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Also a good way to get excess nutrients out of your tank. Just keep harvesting the duckweed and putting it in your compost;)

13. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Well, what about a floating ring, preferably able to be formed, that keeps the Duckweed out of a specific area?

It would help it keep shape and thinning wouldn't require as much work to look "right". You could even change the shape around every now and then.

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Like a miniature oil boom!

15. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I was thinking about something like that... any idea what to hunt for (like a link would be amazing)

16. Grimund Well Known Member Member

It was actually just spit balling. I haven't dealt with something like this.

Maybe a flexible foam cylinder with a wire core? Something very slim so that the Duckweed can disguise it by butting up to it.

I'd take a guess that a crafting store would have something like it, although I'm pretty sure your stuck with white. I'd take a trip out to one to get inspired.

I wouldn't know what to use to color it green and be fish safe. I haven't looked into anything like that

17. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Maybe some fused airline tubing?

18. MinhMai Member Member

You can buy a floating feeding ring and use that.

19. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Actually, airline tubing with acrylic paint on the inside, feed a crafting wire through and use an aquarium safe adhesive (I think I've heard about super glue) to loop it together.

A little DIY that wouldn't be an expense endeavor?

Seal the ends, but I found a link to what I was talking about before, gardening supply and might be a bit bulky, but you'll get exactly what I'm talking about: http://www.gardeners.com/buy/foam-plant-ties/38-765.html

20. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I just spent the last hour playing around with airline tubing, lol. Probably would need something so I could actually shape it. I don't mind buying something either, looks like actual feeding rings are pretty inexpensive.