Duckweed Vs Frogbit Vs Water Spangles

Timboneio

Reaction score
I have 6 neon tetras and 2 cherry shrimp. plus some micro sword. i don't know whether to get duckweed, frogbit, or water spangles. I like the look of frogbit, but not the long roots, frogbit seems too small, and so do water spangles. would they block out fish food from getting in? would my tetras or shrimp eat them? I am thinking of getting an ADF, would he cause problems? what about the micro sword? and would they do well with java/marimo moss? I would like some answers please, as these were reccommended to me.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of filtration do you have? Too much top water movement and those plants don't work well.

Duckweed can be kept in check by scooping out as necessary with a piece of plastic craft netting.

I think frogbit needs high light, but someone else might know better. Water spangles are similar to duckweed, but larger.

Depending on where you live one or all of these plants may be prohibited .

If you keep a section of the top clear and thin the moss occasionally , the frog will be fine.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
frogbit needs medium to low light in my experience. they are easy to grow but arent very sturdy plants. if your filter is strong then i wouldnt recommend frogbit as they do better with low flow.
none of those plants will blockout the food or anything as long as you control the population of them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom