Duckweed vs Frogbit vs Dwarf Water Lettuce vs Azolla

Sauceboat

Reaction score
Hello, so in short, I’m looking for some plants for my walstad build. I think duckweed and/or Azolla would be best aesthetically, but I was wondering if the other two have better nitrogen uptake? Anyone know about the difference in effect on nitrogen in these plants

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sauceboat said:
Hello, so in short, I’m looking for some plants for my walstad build. I think duckweed and/or Azolla would be best aesthetically, but I was wondering if the other two have better nitrogen uptake? Anyone know about the difference in effect on nitrogen in these plants
I think duckweed will be good. Foo the fowerhorn on youtube does a ton of walstad tanks and he uses duckweed. If you want some inspiration go watch his videos.

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
I've never measured or anything, but I think it's safe to assume that growth rate generally correlates to nitrogen uptake? I haven't kept all of those species but duckweed gains mass pretty darn fast.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my larger surface area tanks I like water lettuce, for smaller tanks I use giant duckweed. It's prettier than reg duckweed with red leaf undersides, and larger to remove later if you wish to and not as prolific (but still pretty darn fast growing).

I agree whichever floater plant grows the best and fastest in the tank would be the most efficient at removing nitrates, but I know in the wild duckweed (reg variety) has a rep for filtering out waste biproducts.

Not sure what Azolla is, but have you seen Sylvania?

New Threads