Duckweed vs Frogbit vs Dwarf Water Lettuce vs Azolla

Sauceboat

Hello, so in short, I’m looking for some plants for my walstad build. I think duckweed and/or Azolla would be best aesthetically, but I was wondering if the other two have better nitrogen uptake? Anyone know about the difference in effect on nitrogen in these plants

AcornTheBetta

Hello, so in short, I’m looking for some plants for my walstad build. I think duckweed and/or Azolla would be best aesthetically, but I was wondering if the other two have better nitrogen uptake? Anyone know about the difference in effect on nitrogen in these plants
I think duckweed will be good. Foo the fowerhorn on youtube does a ton of walstad tanks and he uses duckweed. If you want some inspiration go watch his videos.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

I've never measured or anything, but I think it's safe to assume that growth rate generally correlates to nitrogen uptake? I haven't kept all of those species but duckweed gains mass pretty darn fast.

Upvote 0

Fishcat

Water lettuce and frogbit grow pretty fast too, as does salvinia, and all of them are easier to remove from a tank than duckweed.

Upvote 0

Fisch

It depends on what wiil grow in your tank. I ended up with water lettuce as it seems to be a bit more resilient.

Upvote 0

angelcraze

In my larger surface area tanks I like water lettuce, for smaller tanks I use giant duckweed. It's prettier than reg duckweed with red leaf undersides, and larger to remove later if you wish to and not as prolific (but still pretty darn fast growing).

I agree whichever floater plant grows the best and fastest in the tank would be the most efficient at removing nitrates, but I know in the wild duckweed (reg variety) has a rep for filtering out waste biproducts.

Not sure what Azolla is, but have you seen Sylvania?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
65 Gallon Tank Duckweed vs Azolla
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
  • Question
Replies
Views
MySquishy
Replies