Duckweed Questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Windwolf55x5, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

I had just got some duckweed to use as feed for my goldfish and they've been eating it like crazy. I've also put some in my other two tanks so I have a constant supply growing in case they eat all the ones I put their tank.

Now a question I have is, do I have to worry about swim bladder issues because my goldfish are now constantly nibbling at the surface?

Also do I have to worry about them over eating and getting constipated? If figured that since it's a plant it will help with that like peas would.

And do I have to worry about it clogging up my filters? I did notice that a bunch of it got sucked up when I first put it in.

And is it true that it takes oxygen from the tank? Because I read somewhere that it absorbs oxygen. Which doesn't make much sense to me because it's a plant.

Also when I first opened the bag that it came with it stunk horribly. Is it supposed to smell that bad?

If there's anything else I should know about it please let me know.

2. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Not sure about swim bladder issues

I agree, should be fiber and work like peas.

Should float at the top unless you have something pushing it under. Keep your intake deep in the tank, and you shouldn't have issues.

Floating plants like duckweed do not take oxygen from the tank. Now in theory if they covered up a lot of the water surface, it could lead to lower oxygen levels, as there would be less surface area for gas exchange. Floating plants breath air is my understanding. Submerged plants do consume oxygen at night as there respiration reverses at night. They consume oxygen and give off CO2, but not too much where you would need to be concerned. During the day they contribute a lot more oxygen to the water then they would consume at night. Or at least this is my understanding of the process.

Plants can often smell when being shipped. They basically have started rotting, much of the dead plant matter starts stinking pretty quick.

It can be messy and annoying, but your goldfish should keep that problem at bay.

3. BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

He careful with duckweed as suggested above.

But it can be a great food source as well.

4. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

Yeah that's definitely what it smelled like, rott. And why lot of it sunk when I put it in the tank.

I had to make a baffle for one of the filters because it kept pushing it down into the intake.

Thanks for answering some of my questions.

5. BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

You could definitely find it in your filter. I have baffles on mine but still can not grow duck weed to save my life. I'm starting to feel like the only person on the planet that can't grow it

6. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

I'm definitely going to have to figure out how to take apart my whisper filter and clean it because it sucked a lot of it up. And the canister as well, that thing is annoying to clean.

I've heard some people have been able to grow it in buckets.

7. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

The bottom 1/3rd of it should just pop off. You may have to tug kinda hard, but you will see the line where it comes apart. I always put a prefilter sponge in there to block the intake a bit, it isn't too hard to get to. Although getting it back together I find a little more difficult.

8. Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

It's one of the internal filters so the intake's just some holes in the front, so I wouldn't be able to get a sponge on it. Mabey I need some type of mesh.

9. barandemir09Valued MemberMember

Don't worry my current is two strong for them, I can't grow them too hahah

10. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Could you use an old nylon stocking or sock over the intake?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice