Duckweed lost its appeal to me

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by AmazonPassion, Dec 14, 2012.

1. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Before I couldn't grow duckweed if my life depended on it so I started growing duckweed again in a smaller tank starting with a few pads (5 probably) now I am beginning to dislike it especially in a Shrimp Tank. It has covered the entire top which makes it pretty hard to clean considering the shrimplets like to hang upside down attaching themselves on the roots.

I started scooping the duckweed and was trying to scare the shrimplets to swim to the bottom of the tank, but in the bucket I caught 13 shrimplets.

IMG_20121214_141157.jpg IMG_20121214_141222.jpg

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I got rid of all the duckweed I had. Well, tried to, but there seem to always be some stragglers :p I like frogbit a lot better. Since it's bigger it's easier to scoop out when you have too much, and it grows more slowly too.

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Amazon, I remember when you were excited it was growing ;D

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

It is impossible to clean with new shrimplets. You always get at least 1.

5. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

I know right. I didn't understand why people didn't like it but now I know why :)

7. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Bwahaha! My evil plan is coming to fruition!

I hate the vile things but they're not so bad provided you keep it under control. I acquired some Giant Duckweed and those surprisingly don't grow as fast as the smaller version does and their red color on the underside of leaves is cool. Adds a bit of color to the tank when you're looking up. I prefer the Giant more.

Sadly, all of my Frogbit and Water Lettuce have melted away. I just have duckweed, Giant duckweed, and salivina left.

8. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I miss my duckweed :( my fish kept under control by eating it. I been trying to get some since I lost it.

9. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

It sounds like someone on here could be more than happy to donate some. I would actually if you want it :) I dont have that much, just enough that it's annoying to clean/work with my plants cause it attaches to my arm... I actually found some dried up in my room, hitch hiker followed me and survived my hand washing after my tank cleaning! I wanted water lettuce and/or frogbit but I wasn't a fan of the huge roots :/

10. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

I'm sure I will be harvesting more soon...and I will be glad to ship to you :eek:

11. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

You can send some my way if ya dont want it...Id love some duckweed!!! :)

12. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Send me a PM with your address, and I will send you mine.
    :)

13. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Mine keeps melting away too. Can't keep it alive for more then a month or so. Same with riccia, frogbit, and water lettuce. Water lettuce I can only keep alive in the pond in the summer. I keep trying to bring it inside to keep it alive through the winter, but no luck

14. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

The trick, I find, is an open top tank for lettuce to grow.

15. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

If you want to cut it down, get some good surface movement going with a bubbler, kills it right off ime.

16. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GT Well Known Member Member

I'll take some off of your hands if you're willing to pay shipping. I just went negative due to gas -_- stewpid gas guzzling car.

17. H

Habsfan New Member Member

What fish other than goldfish eat duckweed?

18. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

It is in my shrimp tank so i don't want a strong circulation in the tank.

Next time when I harvest it, I'll send some through an envelope free of charge if you don't mind the wait.

Silver Dollars

19. p

peppergene New Member Member

My black mollys and guppies seem pretty fond of it. It doesn't last too long in my tanks lol.

20. H

Habsfan New Member Member

Mmm. Guppies? I've been thinking about guppies.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice