Duckweed lost its appeal to me

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by AmazonPassion, Dec 14, 2012.

1. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Before I couldn't grow duckweed if my life depended on it so I started growing duckweed again in a smaller tank starting with a few pads (5 probably) now I am beginning to dislike it especially in a Shrimp Tank. It has covered the entire top which makes it pretty hard to clean considering the shrimplets like to hang upside down attaching themselves on the roots.

I started scooping the duckweed and was trying to scare the shrimplets to swim to the bottom of the tank, but in the bucket I caught 13 shrimplets.

IMG_20121214_141157.jpgIMG_20121214_141222.jpg

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I got rid of all the duckweed I had. Well, tried to, but there seem to always be some stragglers :p I like frogbit a lot better. Since it's bigger it's easier to scoop out when you have too much, and it grows more slowly too.

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Amazon, I remember when you were excited it was growing ;D

4. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

It is impossible to clean with new shrimplets. You always get at least 1.

5. amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I dislike duckweed but like my frogbit and salvinia.

6. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I know right. I didn't understand why people didn't like it but now I know why :)

7. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Bwahaha! My evil plan is coming to fruition!

I hate the vile things but they're not so bad provided you keep it under control. I acquired some Giant Duckweed and those surprisingly don't grow as fast as the smaller version does and their red color on the underside of leaves is cool. Adds a bit of color to the tank when you're looking up. I prefer the Giant more.

Sadly, all of my Frogbit and Water Lettuce have melted away. I just have duckweed, Giant duckweed, and salivina left.

8. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I miss my duckweed :( my fish kept under control by eating it. I been trying to get some since I lost it.

9. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like someone on here could be more than happy to donate some. I would actually if you want it :) I dont have that much, just enough that it's annoying to clean/work with my plants cause it attaches to my arm... I actually found some dried up in my room, hitch hiker followed me and survived my hand washing after my tank cleaning! I wanted water lettuce and/or frogbit but I wasn't a fan of the huge roots :/

10. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I'm sure I will be harvesting more soon...and I will be glad to ship to you :eek:

11. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

You can send some my way if ya dont want it...Id love some duckweed!!! :)

12. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Send me a PM with your address, and I will send you mine.
    :)

13. ShineWell Known MemberMember

Mine keeps melting away too. Can't keep it alive for more then a month or so. Same with riccia, frogbit, and water lettuce. Water lettuce I can only keep alive in the pond in the summer. I keep trying to bring it inside to keep it alive through the winter, but no luck

14. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

The trick, I find, is an open top tank for lettuce to grow.

15. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

If you want to cut it down, get some good surface movement going with a bubbler, kills it right off ime.

16. Makena95'GTWell Known MemberMember

I'll take some off of your hands if you're willing to pay shipping. I just went negative due to gas -_- stewpid gas guzzling car.

17. HabsfanNew MemberMember

What fish other than goldfish eat duckweed?

18. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

It is in my shrimp tank so i don't want a strong circulation in the tank.

Next time when I harvest it, I'll send some through an envelope free of charge if you don't mind the wait.

Silver Dollars

19. peppergeneNew MemberMember

My black mollys and guppies seem pretty fond of it. It doesn't last too long in my tanks lol.

20. HabsfanNew MemberMember

Mmm. Guppies? I've been thinking about guppies.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice