Duckweed, is it worth it?

xr4ticrew

I had someone give me a small amount of duckweed and I am wondering if I will regret putting (still in a bag) it my tank or is it something that will be beneficial. I have read most people don't mind it but others despise it. Thoughts?

WRWAquarium

I'd say not worth it! Never goes once established. Sticks to everything, blocks out light.

OutsideFoodBlob

I had someone give me a small amount of duckweed and I am wondering if I will regret putting (still in a bag) it my tank or is it something that will be beneficial. I have read most people don't mind it but others despise it. Thoughts?
I think it depends on whether you will want to cull it out on a regular basis. It grows fast! Also it can be a good added food source depending on what fish you have.
I’m actually considering ordering duckweed and azolla, or azolla and duckweed to grow either in the tank directly or in spare bins as food source and nitrate reducer for my goldfish.
If you have a heavily planted tank with light loving plants, the duckweed could end up being more problematic and slow or melt your other plants by blocking light.
Just keep in mind once it’s in your tank it may be hard to get rid of it completely.
Hope that helps!

Linda1234

Not worth it unless you have a gold fish to eat it all. My opinion if you see ducks turn into weed RUN !

(for a tank 29 and larger it can be very difficult to completely remove duckweed should you decide to get rid of it). While you can remove a large amount of it if you miss even a little it grows back pretty fast.

Lily1

Doesn’t work for me. Clogs the filters

xr4ticrew

Thinking I'll just toss it in the trash.

Lily1

What I wound up doing.

SLIM

depends what you're looking for

Attachments

• Resized_20220119_173808(1).jpeg
    Resized_20220119_173808(1).jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 15

GlennO

Depends if you have a use for it. It's a great food source for some fish. It's also great for creating shade and soaking up nutrients which can help to minimise algae. Though there are other floating plants that will do this just as well. You also need the right setup for it. It likes still water. My Rainbowfish love to eat it but the canister outlets in their tank create too much surface agitation and water movement for duckweed to grow well. I grew it in another tank for a while but ended up replacing it with floating water sprite.

Lily1

I was hoping my goldfish would eat it because they keep eating the nice plants, but they wouldn’t. Refused baby spinach leaves too. Brats.

ProudPapa

Burn it, then bury the ashes.

Hellfishguy

Burn the ashes just to make sure.

BlackOsprey

It really depends if the pros outweigh the cons in your particular case, haha.

Duckweed is extremely easy to find and grow. It can be excellent for low-maintenance planted tanks because it shades the tank and absorbs excess nutrients, significantly reducing algae growth. Compared to larger floaters like spangle or red-roots, the shade they create isn't enough to seriously smother established plants. I have left tanks alone for *months* without an algae outbreak because of this.
Their roots also create a good environment for dwarf shrimp, fry, and microfauna.

Duckweed is also messy and impossible to completely rid yourself of. It WILL stick to everything, and it WILL contaminate your other tanks if you aren't very careful. A single duckweed plantlet can multiply exponentially until it covers the tank's surface. It will also outcompete most other forms of floaters. I've wanted to grow azolla, but it just can't keep up with duckweed.

If you ask me? Go with azolla. It looks prettier, it's not as aggressive, it has the same benefits to your tank's environment.

CHJ

Burn the ashes just to make sure.
I was going to say burn the place you buried the ashes but yes, duckweed and I are not friends.

Duckweed has been referred to as "Aquarium (Oh.. that name might be censored. So lets say "Cold Sores")"
I have several tanks that have been infected. It came in with a purchase from the LFS and spread to many of my foam filtered tanks.
I feed it to the koi, I feed it to the worm bin. There is always a pile more tomorrow. I hear it is very nutritious but I'm not a smoothie guy.
Maybe I shouldn't hate it like I do? It wiped out all my frogbit. Then the Nattans wiped it out in a few tanks before I learned Nattans is far worse than duck weed. In exchange it is a mighty nitrate sponge.
If you want to darken a tank it works without shutting off the O2 like nattans will. Well maybe if it gets deep it can stop your O2..

PBateman

Does this get out of hand? I am worried if it gets out of hand you cant remove it once its in there right?

GlennO

Does this get out of hand? I am worried if it gets out of hand you cant remove it once its in there right?
It grows fast but it’s easy enough to scoop it out with a net. The difficulty is not so much in controlling it but in removing it entirely if you wish to. It can be very difficult to get every last bit of it. I removed it from a tank about 6 months ago and I'm still finding a few bits to remove each week when I'm doing a water change. It doesn't help that I have other floating plants in there that it can hide in.

Linda1234

It gets out of hand and is very hard to remove 100% of it - i've been working on my 29 now for 2 months trying to remove the stuff. THe problem is my 29 has a lot of 'stuff' going on near the top and getting every last piece out has been difficult. I removed all that i can see but 2 or 3 weeks one shows up then a few days later 2 then a few days after 4.... you get the picture. It can be done but if you miss one little piece it will regrow... now if your top is mostly bare and you don't have the sort of filter that traps some of it - it can be removed a bit easier. Also if you have a spare gold fish you can use it to eat it.

ProudPapa

As the others indicated, it's very simple to remove some of it, but very difficult to remove all of it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies
Views
Giul
Replies
Views
Drafe
Replies
Views