Duckweed clogging filter...

1. sahmadi Initiate Member

I got a handful of duckweed for my 55 gallon angel tank with 2 HOB power filters. The output pushes the tiny leaves down into the tank and then the intake sucks some of them in. The filter isn't clogged yet, but it's really annoying and I'm assuming it will cause problems in the future..

What should I do?

2. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I would use a wooden skewer (like a balsa kabob kinda thing) wedged/floating on the top of the tank to keep them out of the way of the HOB splashes.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

There are a couple of choices:

:;deteRaise the water level to minimize the downward push
    :;detePut a baffle over the return. Something like a plastic bottle or some plastic flex tubing, cut to fit over the return to catch the water and redirect it
    :;detePlace a sponge over the intake. While it will plug up with duckweed, it is easier to deal with outside of the filter box
    :;deteFind a way to contain the duckweed so that it is never in the way of the filter return
    :;deteSimply remove it from the tank, which is far hard to actually accomplish

Best of luck!

4. OUTINFRONT Member Member

Take out duck weed.? Or what about fitting a sponge over the intake.?lol i guess they were good ideas.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I agree with OUTINFRONT. Use a sponge and a rubberband to keep the debris out of the intake or simply get rid of the source.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I was also going to say a sponge is an easy way, just need to clean it of from time to time.

The only other think I would think is to try and make a baffle that doesn't allow the duckweed to get out of a certain area of the tank, but that will be hard to do as that stuff is trickier than a beta in a divided tank.