Duckweed, Are They Good?

1. abheeshs Member Member

I heard that duckweed is the fastest growing plant and can cure your aquarium of the nitrates and nitrites.

Is there a down side?

I know it will be pain when I do water changes. I have a HOB filter, which is not sucking up any duckweed now, I don't know what will happen when the tank is full of them.

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

A lot of people don't like duckweed but I love it! It's excellent for reducing nitrates because it is fast growing. It encourages shy fish to spend more time nearer the top. It provides great cover for fry. Goldfish love to eat it so about once a week I chuck a handful of it into their tanks and ponds. :)

3. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Make sure you like it. It doesn't go away quietly if you decide to get rid of it.

4. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Downside is it goes nuts and you have to scoop it out. But that's how you remove nitrates. I've never been able to keep it growing in my tanks. Fish eat it quicker than it grows.

5. abheeshs Member Member

My snails love them and eat them all the time. I am worried, it may not grow fast enough for the snails!

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

It has a bad reputation of being impossible to get rid of. Apparently people dont know that it cant grow when there is surface movement... Appart from the bad reputation that it has all I see are pros.

7. abheeshs Member Member

But isn't surface movement absolutely required for oxygenation for the fish?

8. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Not exactly, but practically yes. But you don't need to have the entire surface area disturbed. And if you want to wipe it out, then disturbe the whole surface area.

9. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

If you want to grow it but you don't want it to grow out of control then you can put it in a breeder net

10. abheeshs Member Member

I have a HOB filter, which will disturb the whole surface. So, no weed?

11. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Depends on how hard the surface is disturbed.

12. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

For it to effect your nitrates you would need a lot of it... the biggest downside (besides the fact you can never be fully rid of it) is that it I'll block out the lighting to the other plants below by the time it makes a dent in nitrates.
    What are your nitrates at that you need help with? Have you tested your tap for nitrates? Do you have any other plants in the tank? What media do you have in your hob?
    Pothos can also be added to the tank or your hob (attached roots in, leaves out) to help with nitrates... again though, depending on your nitrates you may need an awful lot of it....

13. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Hornwort is the best nitrate removel ever. Easy to remove, gives far more cover and looks good. I just need one or two handful of it to get nitrogen deficiencies in my tanks. I like it 10 times more than Pothos.

14. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I love the cover it gives to fry, but it blocks light. Anytime you put your hand in the tank it will be covered in duckweed. For aquatic plants Guppy Grass is great. You could try emergent plants like a Pothos.

15. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Hmmm, wonder if I can get some...Looks too delicate to survive with Severums though. I think it's banned here though, it's extremely invasive, has destroyed a lot of waterways.

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

There are a few houseplants that can grow with their roots in water. They are less limited by CO2 which is a big limiting factor to aquatic plants. One method I have heard of is using Willow branches. The branches root and remove a lot of nutrients.

17. abheeshs Member Member

Can you shed some more light on using Willow branches?

18. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I think it would survive due to it's growth rate but yes it is illegal in many places. If a waterway doesn't have some depth it will choke it out in proper conditions. It can grow inches per day if it gets some sunlight and moderate nutrition. It's about the perfect aquarium (or lake) nursery plant.

19. SixThreeOh Member Member

Just bought 10sq feet of it for $2. Put a two sq feet in my 20 shrimp tank, and the rest in my 75. I'd say 75% of it has been eaten in four days in the 75.

20. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

My school used it. They just took some branches and put them in the tank. One if the tanks was green then a few weeks later it wasn't. All I really know is that it really removes nutrients.