Duck Weed

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lisafishlover, Apr 21, 2017.

1. LisafishloverNew MemberMember

How do everyone manage duck weed? I bought some online and it was all over when I put it in the tank. It will get into everything, even the filter and fish net, and so much that it makes me go crazy.
    I wish to know what everyone does to manage Duck weed.

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I found a DIY way of keeping the duck weed from getting sucked up the filter. I took a Styrofoam bowl, cut it in half and positioned it under the output of the HOB filter. I keep it in place with a bit of tape and it works perfectly. The water is defused over the dome of the bowl and keeps the duckweed from getting pushed under water and getting sucked up the tube. I don't have any pics of it ATM, but I'll try getting some tomorrow.

I tried another way of doing it as well, by cutting plastic lids down to size and putting them in the filter so the water flows smoothly down it like a slide. Problem was some of the water would find a different path and some duckweed still got stuck to the intake.
    DIY2.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG

When I get too much, I just take some out and put it in my African cichlid tank, they eat it right up. Goldfish and other veggie eaters will do the same. Mystery snails also munch on it, at least mine do.

I agree that it is super annoying how it sticks to everything when trying to do water changes... I get it all over my arms, the gravel vac, the buckets. It's worth it though, the aquatic critter enjoy it and it looks nice.

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I managed mine by getting out every last piece with aquarium tweezers.

4. BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

I've tried to keep it in my tanks my lfs gives it to me for free it just won't grow lol

5. grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Some conflicting stories lol mine grew that fast i had to get rid it was growing and i like my out let flow near the surface so it was getting pushed under its self and starting to rot if i didn't turn it over every few days, but it was cool for the cichlids they enjoyed foraging on it. 0923ca65c883aadd55ba1eaaea2745ad.jpg25a4a3ec0524be9b7cd9bc26537a5e0a.jpg plus i think it sort of made my tank look dirty and abit dark.

6. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Hate duck weed! Had a few that came with some plants I got... went everywhere and grew like mad! I spent weeks hunting for the last bits with a net and tweezers!

7. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Not a fan either. Gets everywhere - even all over my arms anytime I'm doing tank maintenance. Glad to have finally gotten rid of them. Never again.

8. justinmoValued MemberMember

I LOVE DUCKWEED, maybe it's cause I don't have these problems of it taking over the tank. It just won't grow in my tanks :( It pretty much barely sustains.