Dual Fx4 On 125g Oscar Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle welch

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey everyone. I have a cycled 125g Oscar tank. I’m trying to figure out the best configuration for the best circulation now that I’ve added the 2nd fx4 to my tank. I currently have the two outputs in towards the middle and the inputs in both back corners about 3 inches in from the corner. Both outputs are pointed upwards and bounce of the front glass. Would this be a good setup for good flow and optimum filtration? Or should I swap them around with the inputs towards the middle and both outputs in corners pointed 45 degrees towards the front glass?

70DF88FA-2C67-4F06-B6FF-37343F0C6A17.jpeg
EDB65FCE-774E-4C1B-B092-C98652FE3546.jpeg
4A928509-3FE5-442E-A623-1CDFF6F78A11.jpeg
This is my current set up you can see the placement of my intakes and outputs

Last edited by a moderator:

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would leave it set up the way it is. The only thing I would change is where the dual output are aiming. One to the center, and the other aimed at the front corner of the tank. I can't tell by the picture if that's already what you have.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that looks fine but I would move the heater next to one of the filter intakes so you get more even heating in your tank.

Kyle welch

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey thanks and I actually moved it to the corner last night after thinking about it. It’s neat how those heaters can mount in the corner

Yea
I would leave it set up the way it is. The only thing I would change is where the dual output are aiming. One to the center, and the other aimed at the front corner of the tank. I can't tell by the picture if that's already what you have.
yeah that’s pretty much how they are. 2 of the outlets are pointed towards the center and the other two toward each front corner. Thanks for the reply

Last edited by a moderator:

SammyShuford

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Interesting! my second FX4 came in today, I figured both inlets on one side, and both outlets on the other. Net flow across tank. Now I'm rethinking.

Kyle welch

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size is your tank? I ran my single like that but couldn’t get enough flow across my 125. The way I have them now on the picture gives the tank a circular flow from front to back and lifts everything. My sand is finally spotless like I’ve been chasing. i Have the power heads one at both ends to get side to side circulation as well. It’s working flawlessly but took me forever to figure out lol. It definitely works this way though and works well. I’ve spent everyday fine tuning it since I got the tank lol. It’s taken me 2 1/2 months to get my circulation how I want it. 2 of the dual outlets toward the center and two facing the front corners. If you just point the dual outlets straight forward and make sure they’re squeezed as far together as possible then it will be how I have mine. Anyways it works great and I hope it helps someone. Trial and error until perfection! I’m glad I finally figured mine out. Maybe save someone a headache or two with the same setup. Haha

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just the way I’d run it, if I could only talk the Mrs into a 125. Right now I’m running an FX4 on a 46 bow front. It’s a great filter. On the output I run one nozzle pointed up and one down. The downward facing nozzle helps to clear off the sand.

TLeTourneau

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Interesting setup, I may have to try that. I have a FX4 and FX6 on a 150 tall (42x24x30) and right now I have the intakes and outputs for each in their own corner but this looks like it may give better flow. I would like to add a powerhead first to see if that helps flow but that's an ongoing discussion with my wife. I think it could use a little better low to mid flow due to its height and she thinks it's fine.

1523578309150 1.jpg

Kyle welch

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My problem was getting even circulation across the whole tank bc of the length. It causes everything to be lifted and into a circular motion eventually everything is picked up by the intakes. It’s working great. Poweheads are also great for lifting debris of the bottom if positioned correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom