Dual Canister...

1. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

So I saw a picture online where someone had 2 canisters set up so that the water in the tank went in one then the output was sent into another canister then that output was sent into the tank...

I guess my question is what is the point to this? Do is do anything better than a single canister or is just based on the bioload to filter everything out more?

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Would mean less cleaning of the second filter, I guess. Because you're using the first filter as a prefilter. And I guess you could just fill the first up with mechanical filtration. But I think you'd end up with lower overall flow.

I tried running some 404s that way once. Didn't work well, they "Surge" guesss would be the term for it. Big woosh of water, lots of noise, then the flow dies off a bit. Repeat every 3-4 seconds.

3. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

Yeah that would make sense. I just found it strange that someone did that. Was Just curious to see if anyone has done it and what their outcome was.

4. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

If one beaks they both break! The guy on the web is a tweaker o_O

5. TwoHedWlf

Not really, assuming one just isn't running, rather than a hose popping off. The other will still suck or force water through the other. Get the same biological filtrate, just less water flow.

I used a broken fluval 404 as the primary filtration on a tank for 5-6 years. The pump had died, so I jammed a powerhead onto the inlet. Worked well enough I kept it that way until I sold the tank. Had some advantages too...Never have to prime the filter after cleaning it.

6. fissh

If your running threw a disabled filter, your slowing down the flow!

7. TwoHedWlf

Which is exactly what I said, and completely different than your claim that "If one beaks they both break!"

8. fissh

If you have 2 canisters that are 400gph each and you run them threw the stock hose in tandem your trying to put twice as much flow threw the tubing as was meant to be. So in a perfect world your 800gph would be reduced to 700gph or less. Next thing one filter goes out and the filter that's left has to flow threw it's filter media and the media of the broken filter, My guess would be that you'd be lucky if you had a flow of 250gph. So your right the filter isn't broken, it's just running at about 30% of it's capacity, and probably won't keep your tank alive! So the morel of the story is to run all your motorized filters on they're own.