Dry to Wet, transferring Crypt?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Bluestreakfl, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I have a Cryptocoryne Undulata plant. It was a spare in a batch I bought, so I decided to put it in a pot with dirt and let it grow out of water. It's been about 2 months or so, and it's softball sized now. I'm debating on wether or not I want to eventually put it in one of my tanks. Ideally I'd want to let it get huge first. My question is, when transferring it to aquatic, obviously I know it's going to melt. Should I trim all the aerial leaves off and plant the root/rhizome in the tank to save the plant from having to shed all its old leaves? Or am I better off leaving the leaves on so it can still absorb light and CO2, and then trim the leaves off as they start to melt? Should I do a transition period with it where I keep the roots submerged first for a week or two to get it more used to water? The pot it's in holds a lot of moisture so this wouldn't be hard.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438197199.818785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I think best to just move it and plant it in the tank because if you only submerge the roots in water it will grow different roots for pure water absorption then it will if planted in the aquarium substrate. I have never had any crypts melt on me going from the small packages (grown emmersed) into my aquarium though I think others have not been so lucky. I would leave the leaves on and see if they melt and deal with it as and if they do.

3. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Well I meant leaving it in the soil but saturating the soil. Then again that might be too stagnant and rot the roots. I think I'll do like you said and just transfer it all at once. I just wanna see how huge I can get it to grow first.

4. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Just an update, this plant is getting HUGE! It's been living fine off of rainwater and the occasional watering with old tank water. I'm gonna let it keep going until I decide what tank it's going to go into.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1443642509.995082.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice