Dry Start Monte Carlo Melt

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Can't provide pictures, unfortunately.

Tank is a tiny 1.5 gallon. Substrate is Controsoil. Several weeks ago I added 2 pots of monte carlo and decided to dry start it. It is receiving 14 hours of light per day from a Chihiros A-Series LED. Tank has a glass lid which I keep on to maintain high humidity. Twice a day I open the lid to let in fresh air and also to irrigate the plants and soil with a syringe of distilled water. I never try to over-saturate the soil so there is never standing water.

While the plants have rooted and there are new runners filling in, the portion in the middle of the tank is looking mushy and brown. Am I over-watering, or perhaps I need to leave the lid slightly ajar? I've never done a dry start before so it's bothering me quite a bit.

I can provide pics this evening, wondering if I should take that portion out...

2. KirkyTurkey

KirkyTurkey Valued Member Member

How long has it been since it started? I am in week 3 of doing the same, and week 2 I had melting, its back to being green and spreading now in week 3. I believe its because it was adjusting from growing submerged to emersed, and I expect some more melting when I flood it again.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I wanna say one month since starting, might only be 3 weeks. I'll have to see if it's old or new growth, but I'm 99% sure they were originally grown emmersed.

Some of the original plant is yellowed a bit but most of the new growth has been compact, dark green and healthy.

4. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like it's mushy and has white fungus. I'm removing that portion tomorrow.

5. KirkyTurkey

Yeah that sounds like too much water or poor circulation. The only things I'm doing differently is spraying with flourish (my substrate isn't fertilized though) and keeping my lid cracked instead of opening it during the day

6. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately it seems to have affected over half the tank... think I should just start over?

7. KirkyTurkey

that may be best, did you get a picture?

8. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

9. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

10. KirkyTurkey

It's a tad long, but since there is very little water exposed, there is no way for algae to grow.

You also could do one spray with straight excel (or 1:5 H202 and water) to make sure there is no more mold growth, but it looks good!

11. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

What would a better photoperiod be? There is some spot algae on the largest rock but I was keeping it way too wet.

Straight Excel won't burn my plants will it?

12. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Honestly doesn't look too terrible. Were the pots of monte carlo adapted to emersed or submersed? Looks submersed to me, at least in this pic

Excel might, if it's not rinsed off pretty quickly

13. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I assumed it was emmersed growth since most of our plants at our shop arrive emmersed.

It's also not as green and dense as it used to be, it's become yellowed and sickly in places.

14. -Mak-

I would up the humidity if possible
    Usually when I convert my submersed monte carlo to emersed I let them sit in standing water, and as the water evaporates they emerse themselves
    Even if they were already emersed I would do the same

15. KirkyTurkey

As long as you spray with excel then spray over with water after 5-10 secs they should be fine, it'll kill mosses and grasses, but I spray it on my MC without rinsing and its still booming

Edit: It did kill my moss though

16. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I know Tom Barr had mentioned that in the dry start method to keep humidity relatively low and ensure there is proper circulation of airflow. This is to ensure there is no algae or fungus issues.

This Saturday I'm picking up 2 more pots of Monte Carlo.

@-Mak- won't there be algae with standing water? I can lower the intensity of the lighting but still worry.

17. -Mak-

For some reason, I have never had algae issues with standing water. It's just a tiny bit, maybe 2-3 millimeters of it, and daily fanning/spritzing is given for aeration and humidity.