Dry start method help

Domzzz

Reaction score
I'm currently doing a dry start method for my new tank with dwarf baby tears and some other species I forgot the names of, my tank is glass and has fluval strathum substrate with dragon rock in it. I have completely moistened the substrate and plants with RO water without creating puddles or still water and the cling wrap is on tight with no escape holes for air, its been a couple days now and I see that the water is evaporating and the tank is not drying out but I'm wondering what temp it should be at for optimum humidity? its currently at 74 degrees F with a combination of blue light and full spectrum white light, does the tank need to be at a higher temp to achieve the humidity it needs? also can I glue my anubias nana petite in while doing the DSM or will it die and I should only do it right before flooding the tank ? also how often should I change the cling wrap and do an air exchange if everything in the tank stays moist for a good period of time? thanks everyone !

FantasyFanVII

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll admit I haven't played with dry starting a lot, but I'm just about to flood my first dry started tank so I can offer advice if you want.
I never payed attention to the temp honestly. I had my cling wrap pulled back SLIGHTLY in the front left and back right corners to allow some air exchange to prevent molding. There was always some minor condensation on the glass, with more building up in the morning and evening, like a terrarium. I kept the water level in the tank just under the top of the substrate. I never changed the cling wrap, but every night I would pull it back off the front half of the tank to allow air exchange for around 5-10 minutes. Then I used a fine mist spray bottle filled with distilled water and a little liquid plant fertilizer in it to soak all the plants.
As for the anubias, I'm not certain but I'd guess it depends on how it was grown before you got it. If if was grown emersed, you may as well add it. If it was grown submersed, adding it now will make it convert to emersed, them back to submersed when you flood the tank, which seems kind of pointless so you may as well wait. Either way, try not to get glue on the rhizome when you glue it. Keep the glue on the roots, and use the smallest amount you can.
I'll add some picks so you can see what kind of growth my method's gotten me. I'm using glossostigma elatinoides, staurogyne repens, and dwarf hairgrass. Note: the hairgrass wasn't in great shape when I got it. The tank's not flooded right now, so I can add pics of root growth, cling wrap set up, water level, before and after of nightly misting, or anything else you want tomorrow.
Freshly planted
013c0339648cec6273b9cacab9a844dea1ad27cbc6.jpg

1 month later. Note: The wood's gone because I wanted to soak it to water log it and start leaching tannins.
IMG_E5018.JPG

New Threads